Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've been reading and seen many of the advice given by members about the various good wet foods for cats. I currently feed Angus, 3, and Nutmeg, 11 weeks, a mixture of friskies pâté and kitten wet food. I tried separating them, but then nutmeg refused to eat her kitten food and angus got pushed aside from his bowl. I tried getting "better" kitten food, all they have at Walmart and the grocery stores is the Iams chicken kitten pate. I hit up Petco and picked up a variety of brands.

So now I'm mixing 3/4 adult with 1/4 kitten for Angus and vice versa for nutmeg. I am going to pick up more food tonight and would love some suggestions.

Should I stick with a mixture or is there a good adult that provides enough nutrients for nutmeg? She seems to eat plenty and Angus is not overweight, so I'm not really worried right at the moment about over feeding.

Either way, is there a good starter brand that is better than friskies, but not 2/3 bucks for a 5 oz can? I don't mind spending 1-1.50 a can if it is better for them.

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will add as a side note, last time I went to petco, I was so super excited about the wide variety, a whole aisle full of kitten food! I picked one of each can and went to check out, and discovered two more aisles!!!! So I definitely could use Somme help navigating :)

Sent from my iPad using PG Free

·
Super Moderator
26,667 Posts
My girls get Merrick and Wellness Core, both are for all ages.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I second the Merrick recommendation :). It is wicked expensive at petco though but if they like it you can order cases online from say doggiefood.com or wag.com (with coupon code) for less. Rocky and Lily love it!.

·
Super Moderator
26,667 Posts
Yup, I get mine in bulk from wag.com.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much:) I got about a weeks worth of food left but I am excited to try something else!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I second the Merrick recommendation :). It is wicked expensive at petco though but if they like it you can order cases online from say doggiefood.com or wag.com (with coupon code) for less. Rocky and Lily love it!.
Good to know... How do I obtain a coupon code? I'd love to get some in bulk, it's amazing how quickly I go through food for them

·
Registered
275 Posts
My guys like the Merrick Turducken, but not the Grammy's pot pie.
They all love the EVO cat/kitten. I get the large cans and buy a case. 10% discount for buying a case at a time. Petco and PetSmart do not seem to carry this but Pet Supplies Plus does, and my favorite Specialty Pet store.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I personally try and avoid any canned food that has carageenan in it. There are different grades of carageenan and degraded ones, according to the International Agency for Research on Cancer, are said to be a "possible human carcinogen" among other claims.

There is a bit of controversy over it, which you can read up about online if you are interested. So for me it comes down to if I am not familiar with an ingredient on the label, or see carageenan, I avoid it when and where possible. It isn't easy to find one without it either. Most of the "Natural" brands have it. I have only found one natural brand at the pet store that didn't.

Wellness brand is pretty popular too though my vet said the majority of the staff at their clinic had their cats on it and there was a major problem with the male cats getting urinary blockage. It happened so many times they called the company and are currently trying to figure out what exactly could be causing the problem. So if you had male cats I would keep that in mind if you decided to try it.

HTH

Nerina~

1 - 10 of 10 Posts