Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current cat is a little over 5 years of age. A stray he is the only survivor of his litter and was rescued at the age of ~6 weeks. I am single and he has been an only child and while not bashful takes a while to warm up to new people. I moved about a year ago and currently live downtown. My previous apartment was an end unit and came right up against a marsh where he could chase all the wildlife from one end of the apartment to the other. My current place is on the sixth floor and the windows are not exactly cat accesible and even if they were the goings on are too far away for him to take an interest.

He's bored. He's turning into your typical fat house cat. It seems as though there is nothing for him to do and he never liked any of the toys I brought him home. I figured another cat would provide him with mutual company. He's a male and I was told a female kitten would be the best match.

The kitten is acting like a kitten. Running around and exploring everything. My cat is alternating between sulking and giving out blood curdling hisses even when I try to comfort him (yes he is neutered).

I know this may not work out. The question is how can I move things along, if this is possible, and how much time should I give it. I work with the owner of the donor cat and she has said if it doesnt work she'll gladly take it back and try and find a new home.

About the 0 for 3. I cut a small hole in a moving box and flipped it over with some heavy books holding down the edges... with the kittens food and water inside. This was before I picked the kitten up. And it took all of 30 minutes for my cat to get in and destroy it. The animal gate to try and keep the kitten in my second room... useless... she climbs right over it. And lastly of course is how poorly this is turning out.

As for my cats temperment. When I first arrived to my new location I was out of town for over a week. I left him in a nice pet palace and even purchased some cuddle/play time with him. Not only were they unable to give him the time due to his behaviour... when they asked me to fetch him out of his cage his was the only one, out of 200+, with a big red sign that read 'Senior Staff Only'.

The following picture is not as cute as it seems... but the little one isnt, unfortunately, backing down... I say that because my cat has been trying to aproach her on occasion.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Cat introductions must be done gradually and work best when done by a certain set of "rules":
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... yournewcat
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... chingfoods

Your older cat would also benefit from a proper diet:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=016

...and Play Therapy!
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=012

In general, it is not a good idea to get another cat "for" the first cat. If *you* want another cat for *yourself*, great, but you can never count on two cats becoming friends (although you can usually get them to at least tolerate one another). With kittens, it's often wise to bring in a pair of kittens, so that a lonely single kitten doesn't pester the older cat to death!

Cheers,
Dr> Jean

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. I read a little bit about how to introduce cats. Problem is I live alone in an aprtment and what they suggest isnt too feasible for me. I have never fed my cat wet food but I guess I could try some chicken or tuna to bring him out which are very rare treats for him.

As far as diet is concerned I'll try and work that out too.

Guess I have some reading to do.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I'm currently in the process of working through this right now.
My kitten has been with us for almost 2 months. She sounds alot like yours, curious and NOT backing down.

I have to say that it IS really important to do the introduction properly or it may mess things up for the long haul. We did do the proper introduction and it's still taking time for them time to adjust.

Here are some of my previous posts. Hopefully they will help you a bit.

http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7169

http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8644

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
funny stuff addfran :lol:

My biggest concern has quited down.

My cat was sulking quite a lot... he would hiss at me when I aproached him (though he never bit me) and crawled under the couch to hide which is pretty hard for him to do.

Over the course of the day my cat has come out and reclaimed his turf while kitty slept. They are both full of energy now and my cat is chasing kitty around. I have a large island seperating the kitchen from the main room and the cat actually doubled back to sneak up on kitty.

Kitty is holding her ground and more often than not they just sit there and stare at each other. I work 12+ hours tomorrow. I gues I'll see how things are when I get home. Time to batten down the hatches I guess :twisted:

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/catfight.avi

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Now that they're looking at each other and tolerating each other, I would get them involved in playing together. When we introduced Jamine, Minnie and Tink would have nothing to do with her. We played the "string game" - a string attached to a pole. Throw it around and let them pounce. Put it between them so they both go for it. Get one following it and move it closer to the other. Do this every night. This was the best way that we got them communicating. At first there's a lot of hissing and pouncing and running away, but after about a week or so they make progress.

As for your cat being bored - why not get a harness and teach him how to walk on a leash? Tink loves it - still trying to teach the other two. The other two were content in our big 2 bedroom apartment and now don't mind that we moved to a smaller 1 bedroom. Tink loves exploring, though, and seems restless sometimes. We take her out in the hall or for a walk/car ride with us. That'll also help your guy work off some of his excess weight, too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've decided just to give my cat lots of affection whenever he's not hissing or fighting. They both slept in my bed last night and only required a couple verbal scoldings to knock of their bickering. My cat loves the laser light so as soon as I get home I'll try and find it and take it from there.

As far as diet is concerned I'll start to vary it a little more. I dont know how I'll food restrict yet as I have a hectic schedule but I'll look into some of the automated dry feeders and then supplement with wet food twice a day. For the kitten I'll try and make a cat proof kitten house 8)

I am anxious to see how they are when I get home 8O

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Props to you for doing the reading...lots of people arent' willing. But it really will make a difference I believe -- keep it up. It seems like you are doing well and you really care, which I am also really glad to hear. Good luck and kitty bonding vibes sent your way from me!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
M has slowly reclaimed lost territory. I figure its only a matter of time before he starts to knock the kitten off his perching spots regardless of whether or not he actuallys wants to use them :twisted:

Although I wouldnt say they are friends yet they arent intimidated of each other anymore either. If one of them turns their back on the other for a second its off to the races with chasing. Hopefully this gets my cat exercise whether he wants it or not, dont feel sorry for him as he still well within middle age. Kitty is also completely litter trained and my cat hasnt made a 'i am really upset' messes either.

She is definately a keeper :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts