Cat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I went to feed the barn cats I have, upon turning on the light in the back room (which leads to outside and to basement), I saw something small, black, and hairy run down the stairs. I didn't get a good look and thought it could have been a rat as I wasn't aware of any recent kittens on my farm from feral cats. All of my cats are fixed.

So I set the bait, a pile of cat food on paper plate and left it there and then I set my camera to catch it. Cheap camera and limited light kinda made the picture hard to see.

When I came back about 30 minutes later, food was disturbed and the camera caught the mystery animal as a small kitten (around 3 months old)

Video: mystery_kitty.wmv - YouTube (note, video upload still in progress as I type this, should be ready in about 10 minutes)

Looks to be a black longhair kitten with white paws.

Obviously it's a feral kitten as it ran quickly when I came in the back room but I have no idea how it got inside my house. And I have no idea how to catch it.

Any of you know what would cause a feral kitten to just wander into a house unnoticed? All windows has been closed since weather turned cold and the back door is the only other way into basement and it's opened only when someone comes in or go out. Also any of you know who may have humane trap that I can borrow to catch the kitten? I am in the "thumbs" area of Michigan.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Cutie. :) What are you going to do with him when ya catch him? At this age you could most likely socialize and adopt him out. Good luck with the little one, keep us updated on your ninja kitten. :)

Also, A feed shop or shelter would be nice places to look for rental traps, maybe a feral organization in your area would lend one to you for free, I know Community Cats of Maryland does free trap rental to people looking to TNR or trap kittens. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If I can make the kitten docile, I'll probably keep it indoor for the winter, then introduce it to the barn cat. He/she will be fixed probably over the summer at the latest.

If it remains a holy terror and hard to tame, I may have to take it to the shelter.

Will start checking around for traps now that some shops are open for the day.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Aww, what a cutie pie. I hope that you are able to tame him/her and intergrate her into the furry family.

·
Registered
261 Posts
A shelter wouldn't be the ideal situation if he is a holy terror(most shelters would put him down after an initial 'adoptability test'). I would suggest contacting a feral organization and see if they have someone willing to foster to socialize if you cannot tame him. I have experience taming kittens and can shoot you some very helpful links if you would like. :)

Remember, food is your greatest ally in the taming process. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am getting closer to touching the kitten. He (she?) comes out within a minute of me bringing the food down and I am able to get to about 3 or 4 feet away (over a meter away) before it runs off.

A lot better than when I first found it over a week ago. Just a few more days before I can touch it and it doesn't run.

Name suggestion? it is defiantly a tuxedo cat with white mustache, chin, and chest plus 4 white paws. Almost perfect symmetry.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
If a humane trap is not an option, you could rig up a drop trap. That's how I caught Zinny. She wouldn't go in the humane trap, but always hid under my fishing wagon. So one day I took the wheels off, turned it upside down, and caught her in that (the vet thought it was funny I brought her in that, with a storage bin lid on top to keep her in).

In fact, Zinny's mother and siblings wouldn't go in the humane trap.... they were a smart family! The mother finally went in (after 2 years of trying to catch her!) and siblings I caught all by hand when they were distracted with eating... or being afraid of a nearby raccoon, in the case of Tourmaline!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SO FLIPPING CUTE! Gaah! You need to FedEx me that kitten Post Haste.
That'd cost you bundles. You'd need to pay for insurance to cover the men delivering the kitten as the kitten might turn into something of Tazmanian Devil during shipping. :p

I'm going to keep the kitten for sure. :love2

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
try just small amounts of canned food, put just a bit on the plate and wait untill its been eaten, then add a little more repeat,, then try just bit on a long handled spoon and see if the little guy will be brave enough to take off the spoon.. often in a day or so they will be eating out of your hand..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry about lack of update. Computer had problem that needed reformatting and reinstalling then I forgot about this.

The kitten is still in the basement and I'm able to get close to it but I still can't touch it beyond it's nose. If I don't have any progress in making the kitten comfortable, I may need to set live trap, take it to the vet to be 'fixed' then release it in the barn and let it be outdoor cat. I already have a few semi-feral cats living in the barn so this kitten will have companions come March at the soonest. It's too cold outside right now for someone who is used to milder basement climate (about 50-55F)

I'll get another picture next chance if I don't forget my camera :)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.