Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Halloween is probably my favorite holiday. I just love seeing the little kids all dressed up. Then there's the whole candy factor.

I was considering going to a concert on halloween, but I don't think that'll work out now. It's over 2 hours away and I have to work the next day. I'm getting old. :( So I guess I'll be passing out candy to the kids in my apartment building that night.

How about you? Got any fun plans for halloween?

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Got plans? YEP! FUN plans? no... I'm working all weekend.

Its not really that bad, just like 5 hours on saturday and like 3 1/2 on sunday, but still.

I LOVE Halloween too! I was watching the Travel Channel last night and they were doing I think Universal's Halloween night... it looks like so much fun! Even when I lived in Florida I always wanted to go to one of the theme parks for "fright night" and never did. I'll have to make a point of it next year!!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I am watching the NASCAR race and handing out candy! I'm so glad I don't have to work this year so I can be home to see the kids.

One thing I'm worried about, though, is that it's on a Sunday this year. Will the kids still come out or will their parents try to bring them out Saturday night instead? We have a home football game Saturday night against Texas Tech. Not a chance I'll miss the game, but I don't want to miss the kids!

What do you guys think? Will them come early?

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Do you have problems where you live with Halloween being on a Sunday? I grew up in Florida, and it never really mattered much, but I think one of the first years I was living in South Carolina (Bible Belt, USA) it fell on a Sunday and there was a HUGE ordeal about how sinful it was to celebrate Halloween on a Sunday. If I remember correctly they had everyone go out on Saturday night, but I'm not sure about that.

I don't think I've heard anything about it yet this year... but I'm sure they'll be something said in the next week if they're going to try to do it again. I think its silly because very few people think of Halloween as it was meant to be years and years ago. Now its just time to dress up and get candy. I don't see anything wrong with doing that any day of the week :)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think there will be problems since Halloween is on a Sunday this year. In my area, they usually have trick or treat on a day other than Halloween. The city coordinates it through the neighborhoods so people this time of year go around saying, "Halloween is on Thursday on my block." My guess is that we'll have it on the 30th this year.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I don't think it's a religious problem here; I was just thinking of the parents who might find it easier to have kids out on a Saturday rather than on a school night.

The whole town really gets into college football, though, so hopefully those who don't go to the game or watch it on TV will be smart enough to wait until Sunday when everyone is home.

If not, the trick-or-treating will be bleak for the little ones!

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Brandon and I have not discussed Halloween at this point. I really have no idea what we would do. If we pass out candy (at my place, or his, or each of us at our own *shrug*) I'm going to have to find a way to dress up Scotty. I don't really have any costume ideas for myself, or Scotty at this point either. :(

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Annissa said:
Halloween is probably my favorite holiday. I just love seeing the little kids all dressed up. Then there's the whole candy factor.
Mine too Annissa - I am in love with the whole atmosphere. We don't celebrate it in Romania but now that I am living in the USA I am taking advantage of it.
I love autumn altogether - the straw in all sort of decorations or scarecrows, the pumpkins ..the outfits, the punch of warm colors in the outdoors as well - it seems to be as if we were living a fairy tale.
I always want to be a Witch on Halloween - but don't worry I am a good one and grant all the good wishes :D

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
The Holiday might rub off onto Romanian culture - as do a lot of other things that come from the western civilisation. Unfortunately lot of times young people think it is "cool" to use drugs and own guns. I don't want to turn the thread in another direction - it is a mere observation on how those things are highlited in movies and some get the wrong idea.

I know what you mean - the vampires are common villains around Halloween and they come from around the corner where I live in Romania :wink: .
It is not entirely awkward that Vlad the Impaler intrigued the author of Dracula to such extent where he made a vampire out of him. Vlad was an extremley just but extremist ruler who punished wrong-doers drastically for their deeds.
Legend has it that during his reign there was a cup with golden money in it in the main square of the 'then' capital city . Nobody dared to touch it nor steal from it for fear they might be found. It was a rule of terror for criminals because the ultimate punishment was their impaling on high posts. Vlad also used to walk around in travesty to check the rumors (of treason mainly of that day and age) or "surprise" actual criminals in the act :evil: .

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Halloween

Well it will be the 6th anniverary of Partner and I getting together. We met at a Halloween party! I was dressed up, he wasn't. Or rather, I was dressed up as a witch, he was dressed up as an out-of-work Brummie musician. Which is what he was at the time. But he's much more responsible now and in gainful employment!
(BTW, in case you don't know - 'Brummie' is what we call a native of Birmingham, UK)
This year we'll probably just go out for a nice meal.

seashell

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
not really.. My Mom and Grandmother are coming down that weekened from NY, and our final walkthrough of our house is that day!!! We close Nov 1st. :)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I think I will be helping out at my church's Halloween party for the kids during the day, and then passing out candy at night. :)

And of course, dressing up Howie and Gaylord. :D

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Going to my first Haunted House (I'm 23) with my bf and his friends and also we're going to drive down this supposedly haunted road out in the boonies far away....it's really creepy and narrow and we're planning on scaring the crap out of our friend 8)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well Halloween is almost over here... Didn't see one trick or treater. *sigh*

Going to a "Munted Manor" next Sunday -- we were going to go at midnight but then decided against it.

I hope everyone had(s) a good halloween!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts