Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miu is about 2 yrs old now. More stable and mellow than when she was as a kitten. Nevertheless, she still has her moments.

She comes by every night, several times, for bedtime snuggles. She has a regular brush and a de-shedder. I was switching between the two yesterday. At one of the switchs as I used the de-shedder, she suddenly (and no, there was absolutely no warning. no body language) turned on me hissing angrily, hit me and also bit me very hard on the arm.

I was shocked. She's never bit me while grooming and usually if she's annoyed, she'll give me a warning swipe or push me away or I'll see her tail swishing annoyingly. This time, nothing.

After a few seconds when I recovered from my shock, I hissed back at her, abruptly put all the brushes away and turned my back on her. She sat there quietly for a few minutes then she left.

After about 10 mins, she came back calling me (this is part of her usual routine, coming in several times before bed for snuggles). I looked at her, gave her a few tentative head pats then I turned away. I usually give her some hugs and more enthusiastic strokes, but I thought she might be still be feeling sensitive and I was also wary now, so I refrained.

I don't know what prompted her sudden 'attack'. Right now I have 4 red welts where her canines sunk in. I don't believe I over-groomed her as I had just started. Argh, it was unfortunate, but I suppose you guys have experienced similar incidents?

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Now Samantha adored her Papa and we had grooming sessions every night, but If I pulled the sensitive fur on her britches she'd hiss, swat and then run off.
In a few minutes she'd come back and I'd apologize for hurting her.
When hurt cats seems to strike back and then flee, this all happens in the blink of any eye.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you were attacked. Sudden attacks are sometimes triggered if you had just been petting another cat or other animal....known to her or not, or it might even be a scent you picked up on your shoes (like stud spray). It's usually something scent-related. Otherwise, cats wouldn't attack or hiss at a companion cat that has just come home from a vet visit and they appear not to recognize them. Maybe Miu thought you were someone else because of a strange scent. Hope you're looking after your wounds, and flushed them out quickly and put on some Polysporin. If you're getting any swelling in your arm or pain, get yourself to your doc or emergency clinic for an antibiotic shot. Cat bites can cause nasty infections, that can result in blood poisoning.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Well seeing that I got bad memory, I'm not 100% certain if of the possibilities you've suggested happened. I'm pretty sure I didn't pull anything or hurt her. Although my mom pointed out I might have not realized it if it was subtle.

I can't remember what I did b4 handling her, but I do not have any creams or lotions on me during her bedtime snuggles. I didn't just come home so no foreign scents.

She did break skin on all 4 welts, but it looks fine. Only one of them looks more redder than the others but no swelling. I did flush it out afterwards. She did bite down pretty hard so right now after about 24 hrs, it feels a bit sore in the muscle like a bruise. I'll keep an eye on it, thanks.

Sigh. I love cats but I do not like some of the unpredictability in their moods sometimes. There's a slight chance she did give me a warning, but I really didn't see it coming. One moment she was loving it with her eyes closed and purring, the next moment it was omg, psycho cat hissing and attack time. So hard to avoid since cats are soo fast. Maybe if I had some fur, it would have blocked it. But alas, I have totally hairless arms. LOL!

·
Registered
317 Posts
It's strange because they do have random moments. Sometimes they overgroom themselves and make a spot raw, maybe you hit one of those spots.

As for flushing the wound, man you are better than me, I just leave it be usually when I get bit or scratched. I've been around them for literally 20 years, I think I have some immunity for cat poisons. :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts