Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I havent posted much on the forum but I have a 1.5yr old cat named Gracie that I raised since she was approx 2wks old (vets best guess). She was fed formula then graduated to moist kitten food, and then onto dry kitten chow with canned food as a treat (usually once a day). She has always been just WILD about her food. Could this have something to do w/being a bottlefed baby? Her growth was stunted. Im not sure if its bc the formula isnt as nutritionally complete as mothers milk or bc one of the vets at the clinic I go to put a FULL dose of flea on her when she was just 3.5 WEEKS old. Anyways, my question is how in the world do I get her to where shes not wanting to jump (yes she has landed ON my plate before.. lol) on you at the near sight/smell of food. Also when she sees a can or can opener she comes running. Im the only one in a household of 3 people that can say in a firm voice "Gracie NO!" and only sometimes does that work.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Glad that you're posting :lol: :lol:

So I guess the first question is what brand of dry food are you feeding and how much are you feeding? The majority of dry foods are mostly carbs and carbs have the same effect on cats that they do on humans...make them crave more. Assuming you aren't under feeding, the carbs may be a factor here. She may also be telling you that she wants more variety in her food. Have you tried feeding her any wet food?

Premium wet foods are usually more satisfying as they have a higher percentage of protein and fats...which are what a cat digestive system is designed for.

On the other hand you may just have a cat that is very food oriented and will have this battle of wills with her on a regular basis. You can try a squirt bottle, you can also try putting her in a separate room while cooking/eating. The main thing is to be consistent with the correction.

As for the immediate appearance at the sound of a can opener....that's one I don't think you'll ever win :lol:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts