Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I will take red and green seedless grapes and cut them up into little bunches of 5-6 and stack them on a pretty plate when company is coming.
Well, Gabriel has decided he likes the grapes. I have tried to remove him from the area or put the grapes somewhere where he is not. Now he knows I'm trying to keep the grape plate away from him so he sneaks up on it, grabs a bunch of grapes and runs like ****. He is such a brat!

By the way, I asked the vet and grapes are harmless to cats.

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
I'm looking at Gabriel's face and you must be mistaken. That innocent little guy couldn't possibly be the culprit.

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
Sue...if you google "grapes cats" you'll find many reputable sources that indicate that the toxic effects of grapes on cats is suspect at best and it's recommended to keep cats away from them. I would keep them away just to be safe.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
While it does sound very cute, it might just be in Gabriel's best interest not to let him get at the grapes. Better not to risk it, just because he isn't falling over in spasms after eating them (I say them, since you say he is running off with a bunch of them) and your vet said it's ok doesn't mean it that might be true - if you look online it says otherwise. It might be doing harm so I'd say better be safe than sorry.

My friends cat will eat anything - yeah, I've seen her eat papaya, carrot, celery, crackers, watermelon, doughnut, french fries... almost anything you're eating, she wants! As a rule it's best not to give them anything but cat food, though. Sometimes they just don't know what's best for them! And they can be so cute about it, too!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Little monster! Mine would do the same just to spite me. "oh, you don't want me to have this, hahahaha, I will steal it and taunt you with it then!"

The whole grape/raisin toxicity issue is problematic because its not very well understood. It would seem that in some animals, they cause renal failure, others won't be affected at all. As of right now, its impossible to know which pet will develop symptoms and which won't. So I too, would try to keep them away from him as well.

·
Banned
470 Posts
IMO tough love is important when it comes to food, as if they learn its ok to steal grapes, then its ok to steal anything and it might hurt their little tummies sometime down the road.

They definitely can be trained though. Posted here about the story where Wesley stole a whole dang chicken leg shortly after I first got em, but now at least they know they have to give food about a two foot radius (at least if I'm around) even if curious about it.

Its kinda funny actually, how they stretch their nose out from far away sniffing while looking at me. Rascals! :p

I haven't tried clicker training them to avoid food though. I know it works with dogs, but haven't researched if kitties can pick up on that as well. Anyone have success?

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Little monster! Mine would do the same just to spite me. "oh, you don't want me to have this, hahahaha, I will steal it and taunt you with it then!"
In reality, I think his motivation is this same kind of taunting. I have never seen him actually eat one. I have found slightly squished grapes under the couch in the living room.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I don't know if this is an old wives tale, but I'd also heard that grapes can be a choking hazard, since animals have a tendency to swallow them whole. Between that possibility and the other issues mentioned, I try to keep my girls away from grapes.

·
Registered
532 Posts
What a little imp. Funny though. My friend's cat will sit in a chair at the table with you watching him and try to knock off things from the table. My friend squirts him with water but I told him he does this when you are sleeping. His cat once took a bag of panko from the cabinet and brought it into the bedroom then opened up the bag so there were bread crumbs on his carpet. I though it was soooooo funny. That's funny he steals it and runs like ****. That's what makes cats so funny.

Kathy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts