Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think we're all aware that I have an itchy kitty at home. Poor little guy. He's being treated with Atopica, which should take about a month to see some really good results. Its supposed to "turn off" the itch response.

But...uhh...so the dermatologist told me it was okay to scratch him myself when he gets these urges to practically mutilate himself. And that's really worked in the short run - as long as I am up and nearby to catch him overgrooming or scratching, I take over and fulfill his needs without causing any damage to the skin, hair loss, etc. He forgets all about ripping his own hair out....he just takes a nap. Obviously, this doesn't work in the night when I'm sleeping!

Well..I was just giving him a good scratch-session and loved every second of it - as he always does.

Only this time I was really checking out his underbelly, legs, etc. for any sign of improvement and hair growth.

Well, I don't know how to say this, but I noticed that my kitty loved the scratching so much, he had obtained an erection.

haha, I know that this...ummm..."condition" isn't going to hurt him. Its perfectly natural. He is neutered, but I understand this - ahem - condition is possible to achieve regardless.

So! My question is whether or not I might be unintentionally starting some sort of behavioral thing (I don't know if this question is more suited for the behavior boards, but its related to a health condition so I guess I'll remain here)

Could he possibly get "used" to this apparently enjoyable activity between the two of us...I never noticed him being like this after he was neutered. Oh heck, before he was neutered he was practically like that all the time! LOL

But since then, and its been about 9 years, never saw "that" again....until now.

I just don't know if Francis would possibly become like, "Man, I love my mom...I LOVE...." Even now he's in the doorway, looking at me like, "Hey, baby! When are you gonna come over and scratch me some more?" LOL!

I know it sounds silly, but do you think he might start spraying?

Even sillier, but I gotta ask - do you think he'll be like Pavlov's Dog - he'll get like "that" as soon as I walk into the room?!

Or do you think this will go away with the itch? After the itching stops, he will no longer find scratching pleasurable?

Should I keep scratching him or let it go? Questions, questions!

Heehee, I'd never call the vet to ask about this. I'm much too embarrassed!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Sometimes my neutered male will do that when he's kneading me and I'm just sitting there... it's a bit awkward but it hasn't seemed to have caused any issues with him.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've never had a male cat but it sounds like he is very very content. Maybe your just a great scratcher... Take is as a compliment. :p lol

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha! I've never noticed - ever - any of my males cats doing that before, but maybe I've just never looked. I'm glad I'm not "starting" anything - sort of "awakening" urges or something. Not necessarily sexual, but just "male" stuff. I know it sounds silly...but I was just really curious about it.

Just got back from a Walmart run. Guess who was there? The vet who wants to put my FIV cat to sleep! I scurried off into another aisle while her head was turned looking at scented candles! LOL!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts