Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you grow grass for your indoor cats to eat and vomit to get rid of hairballs? Otherwise, what do you do to prevent hairballs in their stomachs? I tried growing grass, bought one of those kits, it didn't grow, so now I don't know what to do...

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
I give mine pureed pumpkin. When it is in season I buy lots and cook it. When I run out I buy canned pure pumpkin.

The kitten gets two teaspoons a day and MowMow gets a tablespoon a day.

The extra fiber helps them pass hairballs. I notice if I stop for more than a few days MowMow starts to cough up hair.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I grow grass from oat or wheat grass seeds from a health food shop. But mine don't get hairballs or throw up, they just like to eat grass. Even little kittens here at about 8 weeks gather round with their mum and start chomping

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I give mine pureed pumpkin. When it is in season I buy lots and cook it. When I run out I buy canned pure pumpkin.

The kitten gets two teaspoons a day and MowMow gets a tablespoon a day.

The extra fiber helps them pass hairballs. I notice if I stop for more than a few days MowMow starts to cough up hair.
Ditto

·
Registered
388 Posts
I grow grass from oat or wheat grass seeds from a health food shop. But mine don't get hairballs or throw up, they just like to eat grass
Milky is the same. He doesn't throw up hairballs or anything. I give him a malt flavoured Laxatone for hairballs, just a pea size once or twice a week mixed into his food. Then I grow wheatgerm every other month and give him a small bunch to toss and eat and play with.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've never noticed grass to make any difference with hairballs in my long haired cat. The only thing that actually works with her is keeping her fur trimmed - she can pass the short hairs more easily I guess.

And my short haired cat hasn't had a single hair ball problem since she came to live with me. Grass doesn't make her throw up.... It makes her extremely constipated. Maybe if she would nibble it like my other cat, instead of swallowing blades of grass whole. It's.. almost interesting, because I can tell from her litter box that she doesn't digest that grass at all. It comes out looking almost exactly like when it goes in.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Zenobi loved grasss, and when she came to me first she was searching in the garden for the right kind. I knew the kind that cat's like so I picked a piece and fed it to her. I thought she was going to take my finger off she snatched at it so hard. Whether it helped with hairballs I don't know.

With Missy I bought seeds from the pet store and grew it. I stopped when the grass appeared in her vomit. I'm thinking of re-trying for her health as she sniffs at anything growing and green.

Nobody really seems to know why cats like grass although the major guess seems to be that it has a laxative effect and that would help with the hairballs. There was a picture on this site one time of a cat chewing on a leaf of lettuce??? :?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts