Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live near a second-hand (used) bookstore. It's a Godsend. They have a huge bookstore cat. No idea what to give in these tough times? Looking for a gift that's meaningful,AND economical? Try books-rare titles,classics-conteporary lit -at a VERY reasonable price. This is what I buy for family and friends EVERY year. My sister likes classics,horror,and weird poets. Another sister likes the royals. An aunt likes Dr Phil. :yikes(she's cool,though.) I ace the wish list every year. Except for my dad who wants a new gas-powered weed whacker. But the bookstore bunch has connections,so he gets entertainment books,and C.D.s.

·
Super Moderator
26,496 Posts
Books are a wonderful gift. A gift certificate to a book store is wonderful, too, in case you're not sure of someone's taste or if they already have a certain book. One my favorite gifts ever was a collection of stories by James Herriot. :D

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I love books! I could read anytime, all the time. It's so entertaining, and NEVER boring to me. :) That is a great gift idea!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
marie73 said:
Books are a wonderful gift. A gift certificate to a book store is wonderful, too, in case you're not sure of someone's taste or if they already have a certain book. One my favorite gifts ever was a collection of stories by James Herriot. :D
All Creatures Great and Small (combination of If Only They Could Talk and It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet) was one of my favourite books as a kid :D

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Huge said:
marie73 said:
All Creatures Great and Small (combination of If Only They Could Talk and It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet) was one of my favourite books as a kid :D
All of the James Herriot books are wonderful! This thread is making me want to re-read them.
IMO a gift card to a bookstore is the best gift of all. Then you get to spend the time wandering through the bookstore plus you get to choose one (or more!) of those wonderful books!

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
If I want to relax I go to a bookstore!

We have a fabulous used book store called Bookmans. Big cat section too. You can bring your dog into Bookmans. Animal friendly. they have adoption events Ive heard also.

I just read the book Dewey the Library Cat. Very sweet account of a kitten who was put in the book drop then lived at the library its whole life. Wonderful read.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
That bookshop sounds great. We used to have a wonderful shop near us that did second hand books and records but its closed now. I blame e-bay :(
There's nothing like browsing round and choosing the books yourself - I much prefer that to on-line shopping.

There's still one or 2 second hand record shops in Brum though. As usual I bought Partner's birthday presents there (his bi'day being yesterday). I always end up getting him books and records for Xmas and his b'day which is a couple of daays before. This year I've got him 'Birdy' by William Wharton and 'The Enourmous Room' by e e cummings. Plus a Robert Johnson LP and a 'drum battle' LP with Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich :D
(Just noticed there's a bit of an American theme going on there! Just a coincidence, friends :D )

seashell

·
Registered
250 Posts
Mitts & Tess said:
I just read the book Dewey the Library Cat. Very sweet account of a kitten who was put in the book drop then lived at the library its whole life. Wonderful read.
I bought that for my grandma for Christmas! I'm glad it's good, hopefully she'll like it :)

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
LadyNeko said:
Mitts & Tess said:
I bought that for my grandma for Christmas! I'm glad it's good, hopefully she'll like it :)
She will love it. Whats nice is its a true story. Shows how a cat can impact so many peoples lives! If your grandmother is from the US/midwest she will really relate to it.

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
My favorite book(s) as a child (I can't choose one!) was Heidi, Black Beautiy, and then all of the Black Stallion series, then came the James Herriot series, and a lifetime of reading! (I'm an English teacher). Yesterday, I got an autographed copy of a book about the Titanic! I was thrilled. I feel so strongly about the Titanic disaster, and I never got a book autographed by the author....ever! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts