Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so this is a tough one to write. deep breath

We have four cats, two of which are greedy sods. My wife feeds them all at six AM and I feed them at six PM. From about two PM onwards, I am being harassed. I turn from my screen and they're sitting behind me, staring at me. If I get up, they're miaowing and following me. If I go downstairs, they're running past me, on several occasions under my feet and tripping me up. When I get downstairs, they make a beeline for the kitchen door, and if I want to go in there, I either have to shoo them away from the door, or else go in there with them, and be unable to keep them away from the cupboard with food.

One of the cats in particular behaves like a dog. She sleeps as much as the other cats, but when she is awake, she does NOTHING else but scrounge for food. She will go around all of the other cats' bowls, and steal whatever is there. And if she finds nothing, she will go back to the beginning and start again. She will tip over the bins and eat what's in them. She'll tear an empty pizza box that was waiting to go out to the trash, and lick the grease off it. She's a pig, and I confess that she repulses me a bit.

My wife finds it cute, endearing, funny. I find it none of these. It is oppressive and it's starting to get to me in a big way.

Let me just reassure you all that they are loved and that a vet has checked them all, and they are in perfect health otherwise.

Please, someone for the love of god, tell me how I can address this?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Try feeding them at either 7 or 8 in the morning. 6 o'clook AM seems a bit early. Or maybe you aren't feeding them enough. My cats eat a half a cup of food at breakfast at about 7 in the morning, and then another half a cup at about 5 in the evening, and anytime in between they ALWAYS want more.

·
Super Moderator
26,625 Posts
I feed my girls at 8 a.m., 5:30 p.m. and at bedtime. I also have baby-proof locks on my cupboards. When my Cleo was acting like your problem cat, hungry 24/7, I took her to the vet and she had an overactive thyroid. With the meds, her behavior is so much better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What kind of food are you feeding them? Might be going right through them and they are not getting nourishment. We have three cats and they would eat all the time also but they don’t bother us until about 1 1/2 hr before food time. We have one of our guys that runs to the treat cupboard anytime we go even close to that room wanting treats but we just ignore him. We give our cats only soft pate food because it is the best thing for a cat to have high water content food as they do in the wild and the carbs in the dry food give cats urinary stones and also diabetes. We give our guys 2 cans. (5.5oz) between the three of them am and pm. If they act really hungry in between I may give them an extra can to share. And we just use the cheaper friskier pate brand as it’s one of the lowest in carbs. With the pate soft food I think they can eat a lot more of it because it is so much water content. Or the other thing you could do if you only want dry food is to use an automatic feeder and let it dispense the food 2x a day. This way they associate feeding with the click of the machine and not you and maybe they would leave you alone more. Just an idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts