Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you feed your kitties greenies? i thought they would be a good occasional treat even though the ingredients seem a bit less than stellar, but i've read recently that they actually may be dangerous and cause intestinal blockage?

what treats do you give your furbabies?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I stick to freeze dried foods because all it contains is meat. Now and then they get a bit of tuna (small amount) or cheese (they love cheese).

·
Registered
750 Posts
I also use freeze dried meat treats - typically using the chicken ones.

However, I do not give treats very often. They are used to train the kittens to come when called (for emergencies, or getting them out of a room when they shouldn't be in there). For those occasions, they get a pea sized piece of freeze dried meat if they come immediately.

I also use them for the "But mom, this is so 4 hours ago" moments, when the decide that they all the sudden don't like what is for their meals. Apparently, they think they need a new meat at every meal (I feed raw), but even a few microscopic pieces of freeze dried meat, gets them over that.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Maggie swallowed a Greenie whole. About 45 minutes later she started choking...I was almost ready to grab her and run to the vet when she brought it up. It had swell to about 3 inches long and I don't know how big around. It was awful to watch her struggling to get it out.

I've heard that they realized they had a problem and have changed the formula. But there's no way I'd risk that again. Ingredients are mostly junk, but I don't get too hung up on that...treats aren't supposed to be good for you. Another negative for me is that they were bought out by Nutro and they have an awful recall record.

I feed dehydrated chicken or turkey and Zukes mostly (I'm restricted to ones without fish, it gives Holly the runs). There are a ton of good quality treats out there...EVO, Real Meat, Ziwi Peak, Now, Snack 21 dried fish, Pure Bites, Whole Life, Catswell, TidNips, Natural Balance...to name a few off the top of my head...

·
Registered
672 Posts
I don't have any experience with the cat version but I do know several dogs who had to have surgery due to them. The surgical cost ranks up to about $800. that is one expensive breath freshener :wink

Due to all of the horror stories I heard about concerning dogs, I never messed with the cat version. It seems from what Doodle is saying it does about the same thing to cats.

What we are using for treats for the kits for training are these Beefeaters Salmon freeze dried treats. Its 100% salmon, freeze dried. They are huge chunks so we break them up super tiny. Another one we use is the Petco brand tuna flake treats. They are 100% freeze dried tuna in extremely thin flakes (think fish food). The kits are ok with these but like the salmon better. Sasha likes the tuna flakes a lot though lolol
You can also try (just for something new) the freeze dried liver treats they sell on dog isles. They are 100% liver and Sasha has eaten them for years as an occasional treat. I never found freeze dried liver cat treats but honestly never seriously searched. 100% liver is liver regardless what the jar says lol

·
Registered
514 Posts
Greenies are full of junk and and bad ingredients (some unsafe). Such as:
Corn Gluten Meal, Natural Poultry and Fish Flavor, Natural Chicken Flavor, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Sodium Selenite

I definitely wouldn't buy them. I was using Zukes for Yoshi's training, but I think those give him leaky bum (not diarrhea, but a little leakage after the fact). So I'm stopping those.

He really likes the Wellness Pure Delights, which are a jerky treat. They don't make the best training treats, but I'll probably have to make due with them. I liked the Zukes because they are semi soft and I could cut them easily into 4 little pieces. The jerky tends to crumble. But it's not worth the leakage!

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Yes, the freeze dried meat treats for dogs are no different than the cat ones, usually just bigger chunks and in bigger bags (for less money per oz.). I often direct my cat customers to the dog aisle for these products.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yes, the freeze dried meat treats for dogs are no different than the cat ones, usually just bigger chunks and in bigger bags (for less money per oz.). I often direct my cat customers to the dog aisle for these products.
This is useful information - I'll have to check out the dog treats next time I am at the pet store!

Spencer doesn't eat any treats (he's super picky), but Lily likes Wellness jerky treats, the EVO treats Krissy mentioned (chicken, though), Pure Bites freeze dried chicken, and most of all, Halo Liv-A-Littles freeze dried salmon. The container of freeze dried salmon is supposed to be stored in the fridge, and she meows for them every time we go into the fridge. ;) (Don't worry, she doesn't get them every time, haha!)

Oh! Sometimes we give them Cat Sip - milk for cats - as a treat. We do this because Spencer will actually eat (drink) it - shock! ;)

·
Registered
672 Posts
It really does come out cheaper buying the dog treats. I only buy the ones that say 100% freeze dried <insert meat here>. I don't give Sasha any dog treats that have other ingredients I am not sure of.

Another thing I have given shasha many times are those 100% chicken fillets. They are made for dogs but they are all chicken fillet with nothing else added. She gets one and Bentley gets one and they sit in the kichen chewing their bones lol I do the same with the 100% duck. Again I am no vet or anything but to me, it just makes common sense. A 3oz pack of 100% salmon for cats might be $9 and a 32oz pack of 100% salmon for dogs might be $9 as well lol

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I have given shasha many times are those 100% chicken fillets. They are made for dogs but they are all chicken fillet with nothing else added. She gets one and Bentley gets one and they sit in the kichen chewing their bones lol I do the same with the 100% duck.
What are these? I'm interested if they have a duck version. My guy can eat those....

·
Registered
672 Posts
There are a million different brands of these fillets. Here are a few

Canyon Creek Ranch Duck Tenders Dog Treats - Treats & Biscuits - Dog - PetSmart

Canyon Creek Ranch Chicken Tenders Dog Treats - Treats & Biscuits - Dog - PetSmart

I use these liver treats for Bentley and they are the ones Sasha has eaten for years as a treat. She loves them.
Pro-Treat Beef Liver Freeze Dried Dog Treats - Treats & Biscuits - Dog - PetSmart

I am not endorsing any of the products as the best... just a quick petsmart search to show you what they look like. There are 100s of brands of different versions but to me ~ 100% duck or chicken isn't a huge difference.

Sasha loves chewing the duck ones as well. They are like tough jerky? They are dehydrated meat.

·
Registered
672 Posts
PS.. I do break them down to smaller sizes for her. I can usually get 3 chew/treat sessions for her with 1 full size piece. I break off a chunk, give it to her and put the rest back in the pouch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts