Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 cats and I need some advice as to a problem that I have. The cats have always been indoor cats, I currently live in a large house and I have one large room that is just for them. My problem is that I was laid off from my job about 2 weeks ago, and I'm looking at having to move to another state. Chances are I will probably be renting a house at my destination for awhile and the landlord probably won't allow cats in the house. So, I'm trying to figure out an economical way to house them outside for awhile until I find more permanent housing.
I'm thinking about some type of outdoor storage bldg. with windows that I could put them. Does anyone know of any companies that make such a type of bldg. that is designed for cats? Any suggestions are welcomed, thanks!
-Steve

·
Registered
469 Posts
Welcome!

This is a tough situation, one that I'm not 100% sure would be the best solution. Where are you moving to? You need to keep some things in mind about this storage unit being used to house your kitties.

One is that there would probably be no heating or cooling in this building. This could be very very bad for your kitties.

Two is that a storage shed will be a very small unit. Way too small to properly house 4 cats. They say you should have 200 sq ft per cat. The reason why this is concerning is because the small space is going to be stressful. Add the stress of the move, them not being around you all the time like they are accustomed to, and the fact that they are in a new place with new smells and sights. Your cats are going to be VERY overwhelmed.

Three would be what you will do if a kitty escapes? I could very easily see this happen in this sort of situation.

This just doesn't seem like the most effective plan to me. It is potentially damaging to your kitties physically and psychologically. However I do think it is wonderful that you are trying to find a solution that will allow you to keep them, you are truly a devoted pet owner and I commend you for that! If I may ask, is there any reason why you can't get a rental house that will allow cats? I rent, and have 4 fur babies. They are out there, they just take a little digging. If you are looking to rent a home you actually will have better luck then with an apartment.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hi and welcome! I agree with Nicole. I think an easier and better solution would be to try (at least initially) to find a house where the landlord will allow cats. You might have to pay a "cleaning" deposit (or you can offer to do so if the landlord is initially hesitant about allowing the cats), but that would be much better than trying to find an outdoor storage solution. Quite a number of people here have multiple cats and rent, so it is possible to find such a place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the responses! I'm probably going to be moving to Kansas. I'm just going to have to try to find a rental house that will allow cats. But, it isn't a very large city, so I'm afraid the choices of housing may be few.

I have a couple of other questions. The reason I have my cats in a separate room has been due to them clawing up my furniture, I have a well made scratching post, but they still prefer the couch and chair. Is there any good way to get them to stop this? The 3 cats that do this are about 9 years old. One cat that I adopted was already de-clawed years ago, he's probably over 10 years old. I've heard that de-clawing cats is not the way to go, that it causes problems in using a litter box later on, and I have noticed problems with this cat in the last couple of years to where he doesn't want to 'pass fluid' inside the litter box but outside of it on the floor. So, I have a plastic tarp under the litter boxes to catch that. Is this behavior because he was de-clawed?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts