Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am a first time cat owner and I'm really glad I found this site. My new kitten Bella is a 12 week old Ragdoll kitten and she has stolen my heart from day one. I think she is experiencing separation anxiety because she meows excessively whenever I leave the room. Any advice on how to help her adapt to her knew environment and become a bit more independent and brave would be very welcome.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
27,273 Posts
Welcome!

OMGosh! Bella is adorable!!!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
She's beautiful!

Just talk to her alot from the other room so she knows where you are. It's natural for cats to call each other.

Some cats are just more vocal. Harli talks alot. It's OK if I'm sitting on the couch and not really paying attention to her (because she can sit right next to & against me), but then I go upstairs to work at the computer in my loft, and she has to run up and demand attention and walk in front of my keyboard etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. She was never this vocal at her prior home, and even when she follows me to a new location she meows up a storm. Guess I have a little diva on my hands. Taking a shower has become quite a feat to say the least. Lol!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi :)

Bella is sooo beautiful I just adore her cute lil facial marking's

she does look like she is a lil Diva lol bless her, she may just be a talkative kitty, I think if she were mine I would be picking her up & carrying her around with me or talking to her & asking her to follow me ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi :)

Bella is sooo beautiful I just adore her cute lil facial marking's

she does look like she is a lil Diva lol bless her, she may just be a talkative kitty, I think if she were mine I would be picking her up & carrying her around with me or talking to her & asking her to follow me ;)

She is a total diva! And that is exactly what i am doing. She has me trained already! I am officially a cat slave!

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi,

I also had issues with one of my cats meowing incessantly when I was in the shower, as she would not tolerate being away from me, even for a short time.

You may want to try this...
Buy a toy for your cat and keep it in a ziplock with some cat nip in it. When you go in the shower, give your cat the toy so she can play with it. A shower usually lasts only about 8 or 10 minutes, so while you are in there, your cat will be having a blast with her toy!
Once you are done your shower, take back the toy, put it back in the ziplock and put it away.
If your cat has this one toy that smells like catnip to play with while you are in the shower, she will associate shower time with fun time for her, and will likely give you the time you need to shower in peace!
This has worked well for me and many of my friends who have cats who meow and scratch at the door when we shower.
Eventually, your cat will ''grow out'' of needing the catnip toy while you are in the shower, but in the mean time, it works wonders!
Well worth a try.

sandyrivers

·
Registered
2 Posts
She is beautiful! Bella was the name of my girl cat when we adopted her, before we changed it. Good luck figuring out the separation issues! We adopted two kittens together, and luckily they only get separation anxiety when they are apart from each other!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks sandyrivers for the advice. It has worked wonders! Now she plays while I shower instead of meowing like crazy. Overall her separation anxiety has decreased too. She now understands that I haven't left and she can follow me if she wants. She is even exploring on her own in rooms that I'm not in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.