Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My name is Shala and I have a 3 year old male cat (Sushi) that I rescued from abandonment when he was only 3 weeks old. He was neutered when he was around 7 months to a year old. He eats only home cooked food, boiled chicken or beef with some carrots. He gets dry food as a treat (which he loves). We live in Pakistan and the veterinary care here is limited and so I have joined this forum to seek out help or advice from others. My cat is very hyper, playful and loves to bite, very loving with me, but can be very aggressive towards others (especially the vet).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Advice Needed Please

My cat has recently fallen very ill. The only other time he has fallen sick was a year ago when he had a UTI. Here is an account of what has happened to Sushi in the last couple of days:
Sunday April 15:
Sushi collapsed on Sunday (4 days ago) after being totally fine. He came to me and wanted to be held and after I picked him up he went limp. I held him for awhile thinking he just wanted to snuggle but noticed that his eyes were sunken in. He could not walk properly and he was swaying while sitting when I put him down. I took him to the vet within the next couple of hours in a cat restraint bag (ordered on line from medvet). The vet was able to check his lymph nodes, ears and eyes, which all seem to be fine. In fact when I took him to the vet, he became much more alert and responsive. The vet gave him a pep shot of minerals and sent me home prescribing 1ml of brufen in case he was in any pain and 1/4 neurobion (vitamin B) in his food and if he's feeling better in the morning to de-worm him with 3ml of combantrin. I got home and he was still slow but looked slightly better. I gave him the brufen and his food and he ate some and then slept through the night with me.
Monday April 16:
Sushi was feeling much better today The next morning I gave him combantrin on a 12 hour fasting and then gave him some food and then the brufen. He ate a little bit of food, and vomited in the afternoon, which i first thought was poop because it did not look like vomit. I sent pics to my vet and he said to continue observing his behavior.
Tuesday April 17:
Sushi was back to his old self today. Playing and biting and being generally his naughty self. Gave Sushi 1 ml of brufen in the morning along with the neurobion in his food. Discovered that Sushi vomited during the middle of the night. This time it looked like coffee grounds and was very dark, almost black (bloody vomit). Sent pics to the vet, he responded by saying to stop the brufen immediately. Sushi vomited again in the afternoon. I saw him vomit so that's when I realized that all this time he has been vomiting and not pooping. Gave 1 ml of Hepamerz (amino acids) in the evening, as suggested by the vet.
Sushi vomited again at night around 10:30 pm (blood was a brighter color). Called vet and he said to give Sushi 10-15 ml of egg white and stop food and water. Sushi was still active and did not vomit again and slept through the night.
Wednesday April 18:
Sushi is still active and playful. Was starving, so ask the vet if I could feed him. He said to give him some food, which I did. Boiled beef mince, a sprinkle of crush dried food and a little bit of rice. Sushi ate some of it. Was fine the whole day, but then vomited at 5:30pm. This time the vomit was even brighter red. After that, Sushi was not his normal hyper self. He was weak, listless, not responsive. Gave him some egg white again later in the evening. He just slept the whole evening and through out the night.
Thursday April 19:
Sushi is still weak and slow. Gave him some more egg white and some chicken broth. Been sleeping the whole day. He had some more broth at around 1:00pm and then went back to slepp. He drank the broth on his own and drank lots of water. He has peed once and has not vomited as yet.
It is now 4:00pm and he is sleeping. Still weak and spaced out. Will give him some more chicken broth at 5:00pm and again at 10:00pm. Praying that he does not vomit again.

Consulting two vets now. Have to take a stool and vomit sample to the second vet.

If anyone has any advice or recommendations, please let me know. Sushi is my first cat and is like my child. Previously I've always had dogs, and I've never had a pet who is sick, unless it was due to old age, so I'm really freaking out here and I'm so frustrated that we're into the 5th day now, and nobody has a clue as to what is wrong with him. He can't be properly examined because he is so aggressive so unless we knock him out, we can't examine him, or run any blood tests or x-rays or anything. The only thing I am grateful for is that my vet has been a superstar in terms of support and sushi has not been given any antibiotics and meds other than vitamins, minerals and brufen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I must say I am quite disappointed by the response from this Cat Forum. My post got 43 views but not a single reply. Thanks for the all support "cat lovers"!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hello and I'm so sorry your Sushi is sick. I don't think anyone is ignoring you, they are always very helpful if they have any ideas. It sounds like you are doing the right things, and I'd keep talking to the vet or vets until they can tell you what is wrong. Do you only have the two vets in your area? I might even check out a 3rd vet. I'm no expert but if he is vomiting blood that sounds very serious. Hope things improve and please keep us updated. People on the forum do care!

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Hi Shala,

I do want to say hi and welcome to the forum, but I don't know enough about medical stuff that I would have felt comfortable giving you any advice. I'm sorry to hear that your kitty is having problems, though. We do have some very knowledgeable people on here who will probably write something soon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hello. Welcome to the forum. I am new here as well. I am not a vet, so I have no idea personally, but if he's vomiting a lot and blood, it could have to do with an intestinal obstruction, something foreign lodged, or to do with kidneys. That's what I found after doing some searching online. But your best bet is help from a vet. If this one doesn't know what to do, or what it is. I too would suggest possibly looking for another one and seeking new opinions. So sorry he is sick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts