Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey Shamss - I'm originally from Kuching, Sarawak.....you have great looking cats and I love Mimi especially. :D

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Wow are those all yours?? Do you have 8? They have a very distinct look about them -- with the longer faces. They are so pretty -- I think I am going to steal Joey and Mimi. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice to know you all

Dear Heather, Zalensia, Scoobygirl, microlite & ForJazz,

I'm very glad you all like the picture (it doesn't need to be said that we all love cats). Don't know whether you also like long stories but here goes:

FYI Besar, Little Spot and Mummy are the 1st, 3rd and 5th kittens of our neighbour's (from our previous house) cat Precious (of course Precious had another name in Cat which I can pronounce but don't know how to spell). Precious came with Ashley (our neighbour's daughter) but Ashley's mum didn't allow her inside the house at night. I mean didn't allow Precious in at night. So, Precious adopted us and came to live with us.

In the wee hours of 13 April 2001 Precious gave birth (my wife became a cat midwife) to 5 lovely little kittens that are Besar (FYI besar in Malay means big - he was big at birth - he's 7.5kg now), Big Spot, Little Spot, Indy and Brownie (we started calling Brownie Mummy when she had her own kittens. Big Spot died in a bannister climbing accident when he was about 7 weeks old and Indy died of chylothorax on 1 Aug last year.

Precious was killed by a pack of stray dogs when her kittens were about 3 months old (Big Spot was no longer with us then). It was just before dawn when my wife let them all out of the house to play. Precious was very streetwise and was usually very adept at running away from the dogs but this time she stood her ground to protect her babies. It happened so fast that no could've done anything. Little Spot and Indy went missing for a whole day and we had feared the worst. But I guess even at that young age Precious had taught them how to hide well. The 4 of them were reunited by the afternoon.

So my wife and I became parents to the 4 orphaned kittens and the rest is history.

Bubu and Tam Tam are Mummy's kids. They had a younger brother Jelly Bean. They were born at home on 21 Dec 2001 (yes Brownie was barely 8 months then - we were shocked too). Jelly Bean was the most agile and active among them. But I guess God loves him more. I'm sure Jelly Bean is now in Cat heaven with all the nice cats especially Precious, Big Spot, Indy and the others whom have graced my wife's and my lives - Juju, Chickaboo (we believe Chickaboo is Bubu, Tam Tam & Jelly Bean's dad), The Little One, The Little One II & Blur.

I met Joey in front of the Coliseum (the one in KL not in Rome)(KL=Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia's capital city) on 13 Aug 2003. Our vet estimated he was about 8 weeks old then. Mimi came from the vet. We thought Joey needed a friend his own age because Besar and gang weren't very hospitable to Joey at first (they're all okay now). I call Joey and Mimi the lawyer cats. They're black and white. Get it? Get it? Joey's eyes work just fine although there was a time we were worried they weren't and the vet thought that his hearing might also be affected by whatever gene it was that caused his eyes to be of different colours.

We're lucky our current neighbours all love cats (well all except one). The cats bring my wife and I joy although cleaning the litter becomes a chore every now and then (we all know that, don't we?).

I'm sure we all have tons of cat stories to tell but I think I should stop now.

Bye for now.

Warmest regards,
Shamsul

p/s: ForJazz, specifically for you, I'm a Federal Prosecutor with the Attorney General's Chambers here in Malaysia and I'm also a member of the Glocktalk forum (if you know what I mean). The mere intention to commit a theft is not (yet) punishable by law but I would very strongly urge you to rethink your intentions. :lol:

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Oooooh goodness...I was just kidding of course! :lol: I think several people on this forum are close to being in trouble then...especially Mike! Kitty theft is threatened daily on this forum. Haha

PS -- are all your cats neutered and spayed now?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cat theft

One of the vets who's seen Joey actually warned us that he's a potential target and that we should be extra careful.

I was joking too (not about being a Federal Prosecutor and being on Glocktalk though). I have absolutely no belief that you actually had any such intentions and even so if anyone was going to steal any of my cats I wouldn't mind so much that it would be someone from this forum. :wink:

All of our cats are neutered and spayed now. It's just that I get sad every time I remember that just a few months after Mummy gave birth and we sent her for spaying the vet didn't check to see whether she was pregnant again. By the time he discovered it the anaesthetic had been administered and it was too late. We lost 4 more kittens that time. :cry:

p/s: You're not going to send me a bill for this, are you?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Kim,

Had a look at Sugar and Twinkie's web site. How'd you get them so fluffy? And how did you get them so smart to write their own web site? :wink:

Regards,
Shamsul

·
Registered
230 Posts
Nice looking cats :) I like the way you "edited" the picture of the cat sleeping on her/his back.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Haha -- I like that too. You were just being polite -- I"m sure the kitty didn't want to show off her "bits and pieces" to the entire world. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the compliments. Thanks also for being cat lovers. Tam Tam (the cat on her back) is very modest. It took nearly three weeks of playing cat and photographer (not cat and mouse) to get that picture. She lies on her back all the time but her cat ears always alert her to the approaching cameraman. It's like 'click' to switch the camera on or whiz to focus and she back on her side. I swear she was sleeping every time I approached.

So, it was switch and leave camera on, lens cap off, ready focussed on her favourite spot, wait for her to come in to sleep, tip toe to the camera and fwoosh (comes the flash).

Photographing our cats has become one of my favourite pastimes (ever since I managed to convince my wife that the superstition was all hogwash).

Regards,
Shamsul

1 - 16 of 16 Posts