Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I come to this forum for the usual reason. I need some good advice!
(This is a bit longer than expected, but I wanted to give a clear picture on introduction so when I ask questions people can have the basic information.)

We had an indoor only cat. She came to us from a family with two young children. The cat became a problem when mom remarried a man with two big dogs that are in and out. This two year old cat that was adopted from a partially feral litter at a very young age, obviously had her world completely disrupted. It had been a year since we lost our 17 year old cat, also strictly indoors. Living in the country the mice had started to be a problem so we gladly took in this beautiful black cat knowing she might have issues. Scratch, the name she came with and knew, actually settled in pretty quickly and in a week she would sleep on an ottoman at the foot of our bed. Great litter box skills but a little rough when playing and do not even think about petting her anywhere but her head no matter how much she seems to be inviting you to do otherwise.
Scratch had been with us a little more than a year when we acquired another small cat.

My son’s young family’s home was flooded, took damage, and they thought they had lost this cat as well as some other animals. They moved in with us while awaiting insurance to schedule repairs.

One weekend while checking on their house, 4 hours from us, this little cat was there to greet them. She was used to being inside and outside so we agreed to let him bring her to our home. What else could we do?
My son, while taught well how to care for animals, for whatever reason they did not feel the need to have her spayed. She had a litter of 5 week old kittens at the time of the storm. When the Mother cat could not be found, they where taken to a no kill shelter. She had been on her own for nearly 5 weeks. Some of the neighbors had been feeding her occasionally but they said she was very good at killing the wild rabbits.

This little Mama cat was about a year old. The following Monday we took her in to the vet for shots, flea meds, to be wormed and to set up spay appointment. She was very sweet and affectionate. She was confined to the back two rooms keep her from being around scratch. She was a complete sweetheart.
It took a month to get her health squared away before the vet would set up a spay appointment.
When we took her in on March 24, the vet told us she was 28 days pregnant.

The insurance came through and my son and family went back home to work on their house. By this time this little cat had stolen our hearts. We agreed that she would stay at least until after the kittens were born and placed in good homes. After she was spayed the hope was that Scratch and Mama cat would get along or we would also find Mama a home where she would be pampered.

I have “0” experience with Kittens. I have nearly 30 years raising puppies. We used to be very active training, showing, breeding dogs.

I have many questions as soon as I may ask them. I appreciate any and all help and information I can get.
Thanks!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! Wow, you and your family have been through quite a lot! Feel free to ask whatever questions you like and we'll try to help you as best as we can.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts