Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would share our pictures from the snow storm :)

Hagrid and Solomon playing:

Tinky as the snow begins:

Hagrid cornering:

Troy frantically trying to get inside:

Solo Solomon who loves the snow
[/img]

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I love that first shot especially! What a great motion shot! They look as if they're having a great time!

My collies loved the snow, and used to chase my children on their sleds! When the inevitable happened and one of the children tipped over, she would soon have a collie licking her fact! I think they thought we were providing their entertainment! :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heather102180 said:
Looks like fun! :D Just curious, why are they all wearing muzzles?
That's a great question. Our five greys are retired racers and were raised to be competitive runners. In fact, Hagrid, the blue guy, was monumentally successful. The others not quite as much but they all have the athlete's competitive instinct in them. BUT since they are not human they very often don't understand human boundaries. Greyhounds play very roughly with each other. Couple that with their extremely thin skin and you have a potential for a lot of terrible "accidents." The sweetest of greys can turn into the most aggressive of dogs while running with other greys. My "baby," Harry, whose 11 years old on March 1, is the most omega creature I have ever met in my life. Get him running though and he is a snarling, snapping teeth-baring athlete. It's all in good fun but it has the potential to be very dangerous.

Anytime you have multiple greyhounds out running together they should be muzzled. These muzzles are their track muzzles. They can eat with them and drink with them and they are quite used to them as they learn to wear a muzzle from the time they are a puppy at the track.

·
Registered
562 Posts
mdmenagerie said:
Heather102180 said:
Looks like fun! :D Just curious, why are they all wearing muzzles?
That's a great question. Our five greys are retired racers and were raised to be competitive runners. In fact, Hagrid, the blue guy, was monumentally successful. The others not quite as much but they all have the athlete's competitive instinct in them. BUT since they are not human they very often don't understand human boundaries. Greyhounds play very roughly with each other. Couple that with their extremely thin skin and you have a potential for a lot of terrible "accidents." The sweetest of greys can turn into the most aggressive of dogs while running with other greys. My "baby," Harry, whose 11 years old on March 1, is the most omega creature I have ever met in my life. Get him running though and he is a snarling, snapping teeth-baring athlete. It's all in good fun but it has the potential to be very dangerous.

Anytime you have multiple greyhounds out running together they should be muzzled. These muzzles are their track muzzles. They can eat with them and drink with them and they are quite used to them as they learn to wear a muzzle from the time they are a puppy at the track.
That is very interesting about the muzzles, I never knew that. I have always said that if we were to get a dog, I would love a greyhound, or two.

Absolutely beautiful shots, by the way!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh definitely get a greyhound if it turns out you get a dog :) I've had 10 altogether and I just adore the breed. There will never be a time in my life when I DON'T have a grey. They are the sweetest dogs and most cat people really love greys b/c they are a lot like cats.

Thanks for the compliments on the pictures :) I'll pass them along to DH, who took them. He's a professional photographer and the dogs and cats are his favorite subject.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Hey we have a greyhound also. She's a small female and is fawn color. Her name is Cookie cause she's the color of a vanilla wafer and Cookie is 11. We rescued her through Greyhound Friends.
Cookie loves, I mean loves the snow. It is a shame because I can never let her off of the leash. We used to take her to the dog park and let her run but we had to stop due to her bad hip. Man she really used to show off in the park, people would just stand there in amazement when she took to running. Cookie is a very gentle and calm pooch. I will tell you this when a greyhound passes wind the smell will wake you out of a sound sleep. Her breath is pretty rank too. She's a keeper though. I like that shot of Troy with all four legs off the ground.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh my lovely Harry is 11, too :) It truly is awesome to watch a grey run, isn't it? Give Cookie a big hug for me; she sounds like a beautiful girl!

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
OMG amazing dogs! 8O I love the 3rd and 4th picture. :D

My aunt used to own two greyhounds, Blue & Cider. Blue had to be given up due to aggression twards my two twin cousins and the other one (Cider) died. :(

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I love the photography -- please post lots more!!! My 3-year-old nephew walked by to see what I was looking at -- I was staring (more like drooling) at the picture of Tinky, and he said "it's a horse!" lol

I want a greyhound someday. I have loved every single grey I've ever met -- the personality is so rare in dogs. A big dog that could actually walk through a china shop and not break anything. They just seem so loving and grateful -- this seems like a dog who honestly loves life to the fullest.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts