Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
So I decided to try and entertain Grim a little better by taking him for a 'walk' tonight.
I'm frazzled. X__X
I think that 1. We need to be a bit more bonded before I do that again, because he's not like my cat back in CA where she'd come running when I called her name; though mind you, he Did come back to me when I got out of His sight, but when he was in 'going wherever I'm going' mode, he didn't really respond to my voice...
2. He needs to get to know the property better in the daylight, because he had No Idea where he was going X___X
Luckily for me, he lets me carry him, no problem. >__<

I think I should probably throw this out there, because I know a lot of people have been very RAWR NO OUTSIDE to my ideas.. <__<

I live in a retirement community.
The speed limit is 15mph, dogs are never lose. The biggest danger would be too many pets from the neighbor next door. xD The only problem is coyotes at night, but I would never let him out on his own then, so I'm not worried.

Anyways, the point of this whole thread is 1. He apparently has no 'homing' skills, because after he got spooked when I swiped at a bug, he just kept following the backs of the houses, one by one by one... He didn't look like he was sniffing around or having fun just.. like he was on a mission. (Useless he is like one of those cats who is SUPER homing and tries to find their old house.. :/)
2. Does anyone know of any baby/pet gates that work for cats?
Mind you, he can't jump any higher than say.. 2 1/2 - 3 feet...
I saw this one online, Four Paws Dog Gates: Four Paws Wood Frame Wire Mesh Pet Gate at PETCO but was not sure if he'd just knock it over..

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I'm assuming you let him outside loose? Try taking him for walks with a harness and leash? You can google 'cat harness training' and find all sorts of articles on how to train for it (it takes about a month or so)

If you don't want to bother leash training (like me), and just want him to get some fresh air and a little scenery in one spot, try an outdoor enclosure
I'm thinking of getting something like these:
cat enclosure - dome
cat enclosure - corral

1 - 2 of 2 Posts