Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember this from someplace but maybe I'm all mistaken; could a person grind uncooked beef or pork bones to sprinkle on cat food as a supplement?, I think bird bones & small ones are not recommended as they break easily in large pieces that could choke the cat or those were cooked bones (They eat birds sometimes, don't they? or cats teeth and jaws are better than a hand grinder [probably]) :?: Thanks :D

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
When I make catfood I grind chicken or duck (bones, skin, meat) so sure you can grind raw bones and supplement with. I feed my cats whole bones to (for an example chicken and turkey necks and wings). There's always a risk that the cat chokes on the bones so if you're not sure about feedingg whole bones, don't. Chunks of raw meat are almost as good exercise for the jaws and teeth as bones.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i realise that this is an old post, but i am wondering why anyone would want to suppliment a catfood with additional calcium. if a person is feeding a commercial cat food, wouldnt this throw the calcium: phosporus ratio out of balance? and if this person is feeding homemade, if the food did not already have a calcium source like bones it would be unbalanced as well...

or do cats process calcium differently than dogs? i know much more about dogfood than catfood, i am trying to educate myself and this post threw me off a bit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
shengmei said:
mmm.....don't all canned foods have ground bones in them???
of course not, that would be way to expensive. They have things like Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Panthothenate , Calcium Iodate, and Calcium Lactate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts