Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a three year old Calico cat and a 10 month old black cat. The Black cat (Gizmo) is the Calico cats (Holly) baby. Holly was an excellent mother to her kittens, after we gave away all of her babies except for Gizmo, she continued to let Gizmo suckle from her until Gizmo was around 6 or 7 months old, Even when she began to ween Gizmo, Holly would continue to bathe her, but recently she seems to want nothing to do with Gizmo anymore, She used to play with Gizmo, but now when Gizmo makes a gesture to play, Holly will either growl like a little dog (and it sounds just like the growl of a small dog, its funny) or she will slap at Gizmo. I dont understand why she would turn on gizmo so quickly, can anyone give me an answer or good guess at this?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Perhaps Holly understands that it is time for Gizmo to be on his own for comforting. I have seen this behavior before. A queen cat will only allow a kitten to suckle on her for so long, usually up to about 3 months of age. However, some cats will attempt to suckle their mom until they are about 1 year old. I have seen some queens literally, push their young ones away especially after they are becoming adult cats. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
reply to reply

drjean said:
Are they both spayed? If not, that's the first step, since hormones can make cats pretty crazy.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean
they have both been spayed. I agree with you about the hormones making them crazy. I like waynes answer too, it only makes sence, because if they both were living in the wilderness Holly would have to break away from Gizmo soon so that Gizmo could learn to take care of herself and not depend on Holly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts