Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided one day to buy catnip seeds on ebay and grow fresh catnip for my (six) cats (actually two cats and four kittens). Anyway, right now a small 4"x4" ceramic pot is sitting on my computer desk under lights, and several of the seeds have sprouted! There are about 15 sprouts, all around 2" tall.

I have some questions.

Do any of you grow catnip? Or have any experience growing catnip?

From what I understand, these plants get BIG. And I'm supposed to thin then to about 15" apart (looks like I'm gonna have to get some BIG pots to put them in).

How long is it going to take for them to grow, say ... about a foot high?

Will they do okay in window sill planters? Because I see no other way of keeping the catnip "cat-proof" until the plant is big enough and established enough to handle six cats mauling it.

As you can probably tell, I'm somewhat impatient. And excited. Normally I have an extremely black thumb with plants. Lucky for me, catnip is considered easy to grow!

I also have a small 4"x4" ceramic pot of cat grass growing. The ebay seller I bought the catnip seeds from sent me free cat grass seeds. Grass grows quick!

Okay enough from me now.

Please help me as best you can with answering my questions.

Thank you!

Z.

·
Registered
709 Posts

I don't grow catnip persay but we have it outside all the time(live in the country) and i'll go out and cut huge amounts of it, and then about 2 weeks later it's growing back. I try to cut it when it's smaller like 2 feet high at the most. my kitty doesn't seem to like it if it's any older then that 8O

Good luck with growing it!

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Here's some information for you from Google.com

Catnip is not fussy, if it was it won't survive long. Your standard sun to part sun and half decent soil will do just fine. If you are growing it for your cat, put a crown of chicken wire over the plant close to the ground. As the catnip grows through the wire and gets eaten the roots will remain intact growing new catnip. Make sure the edges of the wire are tucked in securely. It is very hardy, good to -40 so if the roots remain you will see it year after year.
Growing Catnip Indoors
Not recommended as it will get leggy.

Legginess is caused by poor lighting. If you have a south window and supplement that light with a gro-lamp you might be able to do it. I hope it works out for you and kitty.

P.S. Evidently cats don't get "high" from catnip. They feel, well, um, take a guess!

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
You're right. The information on google.com said that cats like new, fresh catnip, and don't like the old parts. Evidently the part that has the endorphins, or whatever makes them happy and playful, is not present in stale catnip or old parts of a plant that has gone to seed. You have to cut that back and let the new growth come up. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, thanks for the info. I had no idea that catnip plants grew so large! Now I have to figure out where to grow it. I don't want to "provoke" the neighborhood strays into, um, "extreme playfulness" by growing it outdoors.

Z.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
mineko012 said:
Wow, thanks for the info. I had no idea that catnip plants grew so large! Now I have to figure out where to grow it. I don't want to "provoke" the neighborhood strays into, um, "extreme playfulness" by growing it outdoors.

Z.
My co-worker grows it in a hanging basket outside her back porch. That way cats can't get to it unless she picks it herself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts