Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there growing veggies?

Lots of heavy rain early on in the season and now it's gone really hot.
Some things have done better than others.
Here's some of my attempts from this year...............

Heirloom Tomatoes

Onions

Carrots

Swiss Chard

Red Yolo Bell Peppers

Green Yolo Peppers

Cucumbers

Mick.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nice Veggies! :wink: I tried growing a cucumber once and some carrots.. The cucumber was deformed and the carrots never came out... :lol: 8O

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Nice veggies. We wanted to have a garden this year, but things got busy...We want to have one next year. I want to grow some spicy peppers!!!

·
Premium Member
9,137 Posts
You do have a green thumb. They are beautiful! Youre fortunate. Fresh grown taste so much better. Gardening is so theraputic!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Oh man, would my husband be mad if he saw those beautiful veggies! He would love to have a garden, but A.) he hasn't the time for one, and B.) we have way to many deer coming in our yard! They would eat every bit of those yummy veggies right up! :lol:

Your veggies look scrumptious, and you can see every bit of hard work you put into growing them!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I had back surgery so gardening is out for me....

How about potato's....ever tried those.
My hubby wants to try growing some....

We eat those like crazy.

Your peppers make me hungry....they are gorgeous!!!
Oh, and the cucumbers too. Yummmmmmm :lol:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Just picked my first tomatoes yesterday, been getting a steady stream of jalapenos for a few weeks now. I'm disappointed my Gypsy peppers aren't doing very well this year. 2 more weeks I'll have more tomatoes than I know what to do with, I made 2 gallons of chili with them last year.

yum, I love growing my own veggies. 8)

I only wish I could have found some serranos this year, but alas I ate so many last year that i lost my voice for a month 8O

·
Registered
878 Posts
oklahomegrownveg said:
Anyone out there growing veggies?

Lots of heavy rain early on in the season and now it's gone really hot.
Some things have done better than others.
Here's some of my attempts from this year...............

Heirloom Tomatoes
<heavy southern drawl>
them's sum maghty good lookin' 'maters ya got thar
</heavy southern drawl>

Haven't had a garden since we moved up north, downfall of apartment living. I miss fresh tomatoes, JUST off the vine and still warm from the sun. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I never let apartment living stop me, Smirkitty. Thats how I got into container gardening. Even now that I have plenty of my own land, I still do all of my gardening in containers. :mrgreen:

whiskey barrels to be exact (real ones, too)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all for the compliments. :D

I certainly don't have a green thumb but I've worked hard at improving my soil these past 3 years.
We recycle everthing possible from the kitchen and it all goes in to my compost box. I also check the soil each year and don't use any chemicals.
Somethings get pretty beaten up by bugs but at least what we do get is as organic as I can make it.

BoscosMum said:
I had back surgery so gardening is out for me....

How about potato's....ever tried those.
My hubby wants to try growing some....

We eat those like crazy.

Your peppers make me hungry....they are gorgeous!!!
Oh, and the cucumbers too. Yummmmmmm :lol:

I struggle every year with potatoes. This year is about the best so far. The flooding really set them back, then they were attacked by woodlice and it took me over a week to find an organic method of ridding them (Iron Phosphate works). Now the dreaded Blister Beetles have moved in to finish off any survivors. :cry:

Blister Beetle

We've had some spuds and there's more to come but it could have been so much better.

There is always next year................................

Mick.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
catnip said:
nice looking bell peppers, btw. I never have much luck with those.
It's the first time I've grown this particular variety (Yolo) and I've had a bumper crop.

Not only do they look good but they taste good too. Great for stuffing. :D

Stuffed Yolo Bell Peppers.

Mick.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Mick, do you realize how hungry that picture makes me? I'm already hungry. :( That looks so delicious; I love stuffed peppers!

Burying the kitchen garbage brings back memories of childhood. We had a wet garbage can with a tight lid and a dry garbage can. My father always buried the wet garbage. I use compost and peat moss. However, I cheat when it comes to fertilizer. A neighbor had a horse, and that was great, but I buy it now. :oops:

I've had (in the past) both good and bad results with green peppers, depending of what part of the yard I put them. I should do a soil test. My hybrid tea roses don't like that area either, and that used to be my "specialty." :(

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
I love your tomatoes and the swiss chard is to die for! I've grown fond of the Vidalia Sweet Onion here in the south. It is only grown in 11 counties here in Georgia. I buy a 10# bag, chop them up in my food processor, spoon into plastic ice cube trays, fill with water, freeze and pop them out into ziplock bags for the year. Pop a cube into stew, fried potatoes, chili, whatever...or defrost for chopped onions in cold recipes, salsa or sandwiches.
I like fried green tomotoes, best. The stuffed bell peppers, I love those, but I can't eat the bp's because my digestive tract has a fit, but I enjoy the flavor, especially stuffed with tomatoes, rice and meat. The cheese looks like it would be a good addition to my stuffed recipe. Thanks for the idea!
h

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Wow very healthy looking vegies you've got there!

Im more of a fruit grower myself, mostly because i love anything that's sweet and because of our tropical climate. We grow honey bananas, passionfruit, oranges and pomegranate. :D

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
I have a little herb garden and the new place has a olive tree. i am hoping to do some real veg growing - although on a very small scale as it will all be in pots and other containers.

I have to say all that veg looks great Mike. And I love stuffed peppers! yum

·
Registered
109 Posts
I harvested my very first cucumber yesterday!

Wow how different was it from a "shop bought" one. Smaller, I picked it at around 6ins, and very spiky! But the flavour was fantastic, much meatier and less watery than shop ones... very flavourful too.

There is another one which is almost ready which I'm really looking forward too.

My toms are only doing so-so. this is the first time I've attempted growing toms in the ground rather than in containers and I seem to have a lot more leaf than mato.

Next year, once I manage to have my veggie patch properly sorted out (and the white currant shrub moved to somewhere more appropriate - don't you just love inherited gardens?) I'm planning on being a little more organised, and growing my matos from seed, rather than buying in garden centre plants. I love heirlooms rather than F1s, so that's what I'll be growing next year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts