Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I posted this in the behavior section also with no response?? :(

Okay I came home today from work and Korin was very grouchy! He was chasing and fighting with Linkin . . .I mean they "play fight" all the time with Korin usually the more dominate one.
But, it seems this time he was just a little bit rough and he had that "I'm pissed off" look in his eyes. . .he just seems so mad today?? Then he got a little rough with Linkin and so I went to break it up and then he pounced me?!? I walked a way and then he pounced me again?? I walked away with a little scratch on my forearm and a little shocked at his semi-aggressive behavior. . .

Keep in mind that I've only had "The Boys" for almost 2-weeks, but so far both and even Korin have been darlings and so affectionate. They play fight all the time, but its just today-- Korin seemed irritable??

Is this normal for kitties to have a bad day and be like this? Or do I have a soon-to-be "mean kittie" on my hands?? I'm hoping that Korin is just having a bad day . . .

Thanks in advance for everyone's advice!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm no expert but I think it's harmless. My cats like to play fight with each other all the time and they like chasing each other around. The kitten likes to play with our feet and hands too but if she ever tries to bite we try and discipline her. I just think that they're young, they like to play, and they really dont know what's right and wrong... just like human children. I think it's a natural instinct for cats to want to play fight, and as a domestic you just have to let them know right from wrong. You would do the same thing if it were a dog right?

But anyways that's just my opinion...I think the cats are just playing?

·
Registered
40 Posts
My first thought was if he is a desexed/castrated cat. It's a typical behaviour of young potent (don't know if it's the right word for it) tomcats.
Very important for you is the thing that you have to show him your rank, you are "Alpha-cat"! Don't allow him to pounce you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, both cats are neutered . . .they play fight all the time which is okay, but it just seemed that Korin was overly aggressive and wanted to pick a fight all day . . .even with me?!

·
Registered
305 Posts
KittyCute-

Our guys do this too. They take turns being the more aggressive. Usually it is Coco, and he *usually* only gets this way if Wittle is trying to play near the tunnel. I have seen Wittle get tired ouf taking it though, and he will chase his brother. If the eyes were wide open and wild looking, I think he is definitely in "play mode" .........he means business. Sometimes catnip will get them that way also. Could they have been into some catnip? It is probably just them settling some "kitty business" as my gf says. I think it will probably all work out ok.

Just don't let them get into the habbit of swatting/attacking you. Say "NO" firmly and then ignore them. They will get the hint that you mean business, and quickly learn not to do that to you anymore.

We have to break our two up maybe once every 2 weeks or so, and only if one of them sounds like they are being murdered. They rarely hiss at each other, but they do have claws, and they aparently use them on each other.

Let us know how things are working out.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Iwouldn't worry too much. My three do the same thing. Usually they play fight, but my youngest one can be a little terror sometimes. I can tell when it is getting a little beyond playing. They are pretty well behaved so I usually don't end up in the middle. I just go to wherever they are and tell them to stop it. They will. Sometimes I have to say it a few times, but they have gotten to the point that they know I mean business and they better knock it off. It does get a little scary when you see the fur flying and stuff.

I really wouldn't worry too much. Since they have been fine together and they were together when you adopted them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Age?

How old were they when you took them home? My cat Shadow was six weeks and it took some time (still not really done) to teach him the difference between playing "nice" and biting and scratching. I did some research and I read that although kittens are physically capable of leaving the litter at six weeks they are not usually fully socially developed until 8 to 12 weeks. Something about Momma swatting them when they get too agressive with her or thier siblings.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Age?

robertr4836 said:
How old were they when you took them home? My cat Shadow was six weeks and it took some time (still not really done) to teach him the difference between playing "nice" and biting and scratching. I did some research and I read that although kittens are physically capable of leaving the litter at six weeks they are not usually fully socially developed until 8 to 12 weeks. Something about Momma swatting them when they get too agressive with her or thier siblings.
The Humane Society said they were 2 years old . . .but when I took them to the vet, the doc said they at least a year if not younger. So I guess they are still in play mode and cats will be cats.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I really appreciate all the advice. I guess I just got a little scared/shocked when Korin started to pounce/attack me?? He seems better today, maybe yesterday he was just in a bad mood or something. I mean everytime I or Linkin would walk by him he would be so aggressive . . .what a brat!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Everyone! After 2 days Korin seems more like himself--still a brat, but he's not pouncing me aggressivly anymore. He still play fights w/ Linkin, bu thats okay--as long he is not stalking me :roll:

I actually don't let them have any catnip, because I don't think I can handle the craziness. I always wondered why people like to see their cat go nutzoids?

Perhaps Korin is getting more confident in the home and trying to place himself above me? But I've taken the advice here and always firmly say "NO" and walk away when he is trying to pull a fast one on me. I notice w/ cats that you can't train them like dogs. If you try to punish them as you would a dog--well the more aggressive and resistant they get huh?

Oh well, thank you everyone for all the comments and Happy Holiday!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts