Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm finally going to bite the bullet. I signed up for private adult swim lessons - (1) 30-min lesson a week for 10 weeks.

I've been really afraid of deep water after a couple of bad experiences as a child, but I'm tired of being left behind.

I start tomorrow night. I'm already biting my nails.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
That's awesome. Congrats, =o). At least you're not learning how I learned how to swim....

I was 5 and my two older brothers (10 and 8 at the time) threw me into the 5ft deep part of the pool at the local high school (there was open swim during the summer) and told me to "Swim or drown." =o/ Thank God I'm a quick learner.

·
Premium Member
9,137 Posts
that is so great. Ive learned the fears we have arent as bad as we thought when we go out and face it and conquer it. Still doesnt make it any easier during the conquering though.. hehe..That is awesome what you are doing. Keep us posted

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My first lesson was last night. I was sooo nervous. I have a really great instructor, though.

We covered a lot in the 30 minutes I was there - back float, front float, back float with flutter kick, front crawl, treading patterns. I have it all down but the treading which is the part I really want to pick up. I think that if I can learn that then I won't be so freaked out by deep water b/c I'll know I can have control.

Going to go back and practice tonight before aquarobics. I want to get my front crawl smoother. I'm also looking forward to learning breathing techniques. Oh, and I learned how to return to a standing position without floundering around like a freak!

I feel better about learning, and I am looking forward to next week. My instructor said we will use a waist floating device (like they use for deep water jogging) to help me in the deep end while I learn to work my legs for treading.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I think you're really wise to take the lessons, Tina. Not only is it safer for you, but swimming is so much fun. I'm a fairly good swimmer, but I have some fear of deep water, so I just avoid it. I also had a bad experience when I was a child. Still, I have the ability to handle it if I have to, and that's a good thing! (as Martha S.) would say!

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
I am soooo scared of water. If I'm in the water and it's over my neck I freak out, I need to learn to float upright at least. It seems so easy seeing everyone else do it but when I try, I splatter and would probably drown. It's inspiring to hear you taking lessons, hope it turns out well. :wink:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The lessons are going well. Tomorrow night is the final lesson in the first session; I signed up for 2 sessions.

I started out progressing rapidly, but I have slowed in the last two weeks. Treading water is difficult. I know that once I can do this, I will be set. I didn't realize how much energy it takes to swim, though. It really wears me out.

I've been going to deep water jogging classes at night (you wear a floating "belt") to help me burn calories and get more in shape for swimming.

Let's hope by the end of the next session (6 weeks away) that I can come to all of you and feel confident in my abilities!

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's been awhile but I still remember

I never really was much of good swimmer as I tired real easy. Many years ago in the NAVY bootcamp I had to jump into a 8 foot deep swimming pool fully clothed, shoes and all. I had to stay in the water for eight hours without touching the sides of the pool. It didn't matter what method I used to stay afloat. I had been tought of course how to make floating devices from my clothing. It was required to pass this, just in case I ever fell overboard from a ship while at sea.

Dutchman

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm glad everything's going well. I hope you carry on swimming - it's such good exercise. I know how you feel; for years I was terrified of taking my feet off the bottom of the pool because I was convinced I would sink. I'm not a really strong swimmer now but I have a lot more confidence in the water than I used to.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
mismodliz said:
The lessons are going well. Tomorrow night is the final lesson in the first session; I signed up for 2 sessions.

I started out progressing rapidly, but I have slowed in the last two weeks. Treading water is difficult. I know that once I can do this, I will be set. I didn't realize how much energy it takes to swim, though. It really wears me out.

I've been going to deep water jogging classes at night (you wear a floating "belt") to help me burn calories and get more in shape for swimming.

Let's hope by the end of the next session (6 weeks away) that I can come to all of you and feel confident in my abilities!
Swimming *is* tiring sometimes because you work every part of your body. It's GREAT exercise. But something I have noticed is that when people are learning how, they expend a ton of extra energy because they are afraid of drowning. They use extra motions that wouldn't be needed if they could relax. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say that as your confidence goes up and you keep sticking with this, you are going to start to relax in the water. When that happens, you'll be able to only use movements you need to stay afloat and move around, and you'll be able to swim leisurely and not get tired out. It really works! I really admire you for doing this, it's a great thing and you're a strong person for it. I bet you feel so good -- stick with it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts