Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again all.

I would like you to meet my (5 teeth missing) gummy girl. Cammie is my absolute baby and I am horrified to find she has gum disease and loss of teeth through it. Thought it was through fighting as that seems to be her past time.

She is only 2 years old and at present I feel we have done something wrong. Does anybody else have cats with these problems? I am going to do some research on it and try and get some answers. As I watched the vet scrape tartar off her teeth the guilt was terrible.

The vet has put her on antibiotics and given her an anti imflammatory injection, which I hope will help. I have to take her back in 10 days for a check-up.

If anyone has experience in this, please share as need some reassurance at present. I keep seeing my cat with no teeth and as she is so gorgeous, it seems such a waste.

At present she doesn't seem to be suffering for it, but would like to kerb the effects before the pain sets in. I love my cat too much for that.

Kind Regards,

Lan.

:?:

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Hi Ian! Yes, I am going through the same kind of problems, but my kitty isn't as young as yours. Levi is about 8 years old and is missing 9 teeth. He had one missing naturally, 3 removed last year and 5 removed this year. Don't forget that she is in much less pain now that the rotten teeth are gone.

Please don't blame yourself for this. Most people don't realize when their cat has dental problems. Most people don't realize that cats need dental care. Also your kitty is so young to be having these problems. I hope you realize that your kitty will likely need a dental cleaning every year and probably more extractions. Some cats are just prone to dental disease and there isn't much you can do to stop it.

I brushed Levi's teeth every day for the last year and he still needed 5 teeth out. He just has bad genes. You should be brushing your kitty's teeth every day, however, because this is the best way to stave of dental disease. I don't even want to think about how many teeth Levi would have needed removed if I hadn't been brushing.

So did the vet put her under for a full dental cleaning? It kind of sound like they did it without anaesthesia? I know that's probably a stupid question, but I am curious.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts