Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I think this is my 3rd post in this part of the forum.)

My rescued kitty always has brown gunk coming out of his eyes. I imagine it will take a little time for him to adjust and get healthy, but if you have any tips of why this is happening and what to do, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
could be an infection? I know my kitty is completely and he occasionally has gunk in the corner of his eyes but i think its like our "sandman"...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Lucykitty - I got my cat from a breeder and on the her first day home, I noticed gunk coming out of her eyes and it got worse until I took her to the vet and she said it was conjunctivitis. She had a course of antibiotics - in her eyes - which didn't help and then oral antibiotics which totally cleared it up. I had googled the condition and convinced myself she had something more morbid but now I think it was just brought on by the stress of her trip home and leaving her family etc.

for now, I would just use some cotton balls in warm water and clean his eyes a bit and then keep an eye on him. If it gets worse or his eyes look red or swollen, get to the vet - it should be easily treatable.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think it's conjunctivitis. I know what that looks like. Maybe he's just still getting well from being starved of nutrients when we got him. I'll be taking him back to the vet soon for a check up and I'll ask. I think it's getting better. It's not in his eys - it's just brown crud below the eyes.

·
Registered
388 Posts
It is the same with my little Milky, just a small lump or two of brown discharge under his eyes, and it is usually after he wakes up from a long period of sleeping ie. morning and evening. I clean his eyes daily, twice if I get a chance to. It doesn't bother him at all, and he is eating, sleeping and toileting well so I let him be unless it gets any worse and he needs to see a vet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts