Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

my flame point Siamese has gotten a clean bill of health with every vet visit... but a year ago he started the occasional cough.

ive asked the vet about it, theyre relatively short fits that happen every few weeks... he said get an air purifier. We did that. I don’t smoke, so it can’t be that. But I do not know what’s responsible for this or what to do.

I thought maybe it could be a hair ball since he doesn’t let me brush him? Or it’s an old apartment, maybe that’s it? Anyone know?

He’s only 3 and very active + healthy appetite.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I don't think it could be a hairball, as the Siamese doesn't shed much. Is it dusty in your apartment? Is he showing any other symptoms? I hope you find out what's wrong soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He sheds a lot! Yeah, prewar apartment. It’s just annoying because my vet was like “get an air purifier” and then when it happened in the winter he was like “get a humidifier”. I guess I’m looking for someone to tell me what’s wrong. I feel so bad for him when he has his fits :/

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think if he had a hairball, he'd be gagging. Yeah, that is old. It may be the dust. Sometime vets are no help. :(

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Do you have any mold/mildew issues in your place?
Do you use any air fresheners?
Do you ever notice any other symptoms, runny eyes, runny nose?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don’t believe so. It’s an old New York apartment (building built in early 1900s) and probably hasn’t been renovated since the late 90s/early 2000s. So it collects dust VERY easily.

I don’t use air fresheners. I will burn high grade scented candles every so often.

no other symptoms... I mean, he drools when I pet his third eye.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Could just be a seasonal thing!
Would rule out asthma, just in case!
I have a kitty with breathing issues at times, and yes, I have a air purifier, and a humidifier!
Bless her little furry heart, she goes to that room to sleep, and I've noticed it does help her breathing , and ....snoring!😺
Best Wishes!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you! It’s so strange because he’s chipper as can be after it’s over.

I wonder if it was because I wore cologne yesterday tho?

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Well...Cats are WAY more sensitive to scents than us!
It might be worthwhile to keep a journal for a brief time!😉😺
Best Wishes!

·
Registered
14 Posts
One of my feral momma’s kittens picked that up from somewhere. Then they gave it to their brother, then momma came down with it! Eventually all recovered.....seemed to happen when their heart rate increased. Momma is okay now; the 2 adorable sweethearts were killed by mongrels in my backyard - I hope they passed knowing they were loved....their position in passing was heading back to my porch for safety.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm so sorry about the two kittens. I had a cat and a kitten murdered by dogs. It's always sad. 😭 I'm sure that they knew they were loved.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Try adding some L-Lysine to her diet...

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
IT won't be a quick fix...give it two to three weeks! This may be something, you'll need to keep up with her/him but L-lysine is not something you have to worry about building up in her body! Her body will only use what is needed!

Reactions: Catgirl13

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: we’re going to the vet tmrw. The coughing stopped until I used Pine Litter last night... he normally uses Pretty Litter, but it hasn’t arrived yet and he needed a change.

As soon as I removed the litter from the house, he quit coughing. I did some googling (never the best idea) and it sounds like maybe asthma.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts