Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 dwarf puffers and a couple ghost shrimp in my tank. At first the puffers would eat the ghost shrimp all the time so i'd just keep replacing them, finally they stopped messing with them and they live in relative peace. Until today. I fed them their usual bloodworms and they missed a few that fell to the botom where the ghost shrimp happily ran over and started munching them. The puffers finished all the rest and kept looking around for more (puffers are pigs when it comes to eating) Well one puffer spotted the ghost shrimp and started for it. I thought "Oh great another trip to the petstore coming up" but then the puffer did the funniest thing! It didn't try to eat the ghost shrimp....it stole the ghost shrimps food! When it finished it chased another ghost shrimp around the tank until the ghost shrimp got backed up into a corner and stole her food too! I had tears coming down my face it was so funny!

(ghost shrimp are typicly used as feeder fish for puffers and other fish but they do a good job of cleaning up the leftover food and waste on the tank as well)

·
Registered
94 Posts
That is funny!!!! I don't know much about fish, do you have any pictures of a puffer fish or the ghost shrimp? I kinda feel sorry for the poor ghost shrimp who are usually just the puffer food. :( But then I know that is probably just the way that it is... it isn't meant to be cruel. I would really like to see pics of them though,,,you have peaked my curiousity! :)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are voracious! Ok here ya go:

The whole tank (which I could just barely take a pic of)

The left side of the tank:

The middle of the tank(if you look at the top you can see one of the sharks swimming by)

The right side of the tank where you can see both sharks up top:

close-up of the large rock in the center, I as trying to get a pic of the sharks on their backs but they swam too fast:

I need to get more rocks and plants, but gotta wait til monday when paycheck comes in, we blew a wad of cash this past week 8O I think i'm going to paint the stand and top black, the oak just isn't my style.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Awwww it's a beautiful tank! I LOVE sandy bottoms. Is it hard to keep clean with sand? I would love to try it one day. Are those live plants you have there? I have a rainbow shark in one of my tanks, I have had him for 8 years!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Jeanie said:
Oh, my! Please don't paint wood!
Wood is so beautiful. You could sand and stain it mahogany or cherry, but please don't paint it! Ohhhhh, I think I'm going to faint..... :cry:
I'm the same way about real wood as well.

That is a beautiful tank and you got a great deal!!!!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its a mix of live plants and fake. Theres only a few varieties of plants that will survive living in brackish aquariums so I interspersed them with fake to add more variety. I just got back from picking up some wisteria (nothing short of a nuclear holocaust will kill wisteria apparently) I still need to find somewhere that has jungle val for sale, thats supposed to grow really well in brackish as well.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We will see, it would be a lot more work to sand and restain (not to mention a lot more messy!) than to just faux finish it. Since its already full of water i'm not about to drain it to take it outside and sand/stain it, but I could tarp/tape the floor and paint it. But atm i'm too busy to do either to it so it's gonna have to wait. After many many MANY reassurances I have decided to go ahead and put the fish in probably tomorrow.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chaos likes the tank too! (its Kitty television, the only thing is we don't get The Bird Channel)

Bumblebee Gobies:

New Green Spotted Puffer (Bonzai):
"Anyone see any snails?"

"Still looking for snails....."

"Oh Snailieeeeess....come out come out wherever you are.."

"Maybe there's some snails over here....."

"Who is that GORGEOUS puffer?"

G

·
0 Posts
Your puffer is adorable. I've always wanted one, but I don't want to do brackish or saltwater. They have some freshwater puffers, but they don't get very big at at.

Isn't is great watching the cats play with the fish?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually, there's more freshwater puffers than brackish. One of which is the largest known puffer, the MBU (up to 4ft long). If I had done more research before getting my puffer I would have gone with a Red Congo puffer (freshwater, and yes, they are VERY red). Theres a gorgeous blue and white striped freshwater puffer named Fahaka Puffer. Theres the f8 puffer, which is brackish but only needs very light brackish water.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Oh that is just a beautiful tank!!! I would love to have one like that!! I don't know the first thing about taking care of fish, though or anything about tanks like that. I have only just had goldfish or betas in little goldfish bowls. Is it hard to keep it clean? The fish are just awesome!! I love the little sharks and the puffer fish! One time I was in a pet store and they had some kind of fish that looked kinda like a little pig...it was the weirdest (yet fascinating) thing I had seen! Do you know what that would have been? I have never seen another one since then. Thanks for the pics!!! I really enjoyed them!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
shycat said:
Oh that is just a beautiful tank!!! I would love to have one like that!! I don't know the first thing about taking care of fish, though or anything about tanks like that. I have only just had goldfish or betas in little goldfish bowls. Is it hard to keep it clean? The fish are just awesome!! I love the little sharks and the puffer fish! One time I was in a pet store and they had some kind of fish that looked kinda like a little pig...it was the weirdest (yet fascinating) thing I had seen! Do you know what that would have been? I have never seen another one since then. Thanks for the pics!!! I really enjoyed them!
I have kept fish for years, and it is a great hobby. :) Right now I have a 55 gallon and a 10 gallon, and we are looking for a 100 gallon. They do take a bit of an investment to get started, but in my opinion, it is SO worth it. :) The best size to start out with is a 20 or 29 gallon.....and it is best to get a kit. The have great deals at Wal Mart.....if you decide to actually go for it and have any questions.....you know where to find me! :D

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The kits are good, but if you can find a good deal in the paper it can be even better. A lot of people get into fish and then quit, and ther tanks end up taking up room in their garage for years. You can usually bargain with them, and sometimes they have ALL the accessories and better quality filtration than the kits.

Mine came with two wet/dry biological filters, a very nice heater, the stand (stands are sooo expensive!) two powerheads, a good airpump, two bubble bars, the light fixture, light, and an extra brand new light bulb, a python gravel cleaner/tank drainer/refiller, a brand new complete test kit, a large net, an algea scraper/plant planter,tank background cover, a large algea-mag, about 6 plants, and some rocks and caves, two thermometers. All that cost me $220. Brand new it would have cost me over $400 not including the tank, stand, or light fixture.

Of course since we went brackish there was still expenses, like a hydrometer to measure the salinity ($12.99) extra decor(live plants, fake plants, broken pot was free) ($30) Marine Salt ($14.99) A fixture to make the python work on our faucet($10), Feeder cone so the bloodworms don't make a big mess in the tank ($2.99) and of course the fish themselves. Then theres the 5 gallon I had set up before, which i'm now using as a breeding tank for feeder fish and snails. I bought that as a kit for $29 at wal-mart, in the end I had spent over $100 on it after decorations, substrate, heater, thermometer, food were all added. The filter is already showing signs of giving out, it sometimes "coughs" and "sputters".

This is by no means (imo) a cheap hobby (if you do it right) but I think it's well worth it, since not only do you get to observe underwater activity in your home, but it can be a really nice conversation piece and a great part of home decor. Like cats though you will need an emergency fund for it, as babies happen, sickness happens, and filters/heaters/etc break occasionaly. (more than occassionally if you have an oscar, mine loved breaking his $35 heater every other week)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts