Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know by now I'm a fairly new cat Mommy - and I've got a question, ok so maybe more than one.

I notice different folks here talk about giving their cats something for hairballs and I'm wondering is this something you give on a daily basis or only when they seem to be having a problem with one?

I'm asking because Tuffy who is now six months old never ever had a problem with coughing or anything but in the last couple of weeks I've noticed a few times he will start coughing and stretching his neck like he's trying to get something out but will stop in a bit and go on about playing. He eats ok and everything but I'm wondering if there is something I should be doing differently.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Are you feeding wet or dry food? Since I switched to a wet food, I haven't had alot of hairball issues. When I fed dry food though, once a week I put a small amount of Vaseline on my finger tip, and then pressed it onto one of their front paws. They lick it off.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They get free fed dry food and wet food three times a day - (each feeding of wet food is only half a can of the small size cans)

·
Registered
763 Posts
What you describe does sound like the classic hair ball hyuk. Sometimes cats can't bring them up, even when they try. Some hair ball remedy can help it pass the other way.

Other times, some fur might get stuck in the throat causing a tickle. Hair ball remedy can help with that, too.

Daily grooming will help cut down on the amount of hair Tuffy ingests. You can use hairball remedy as needed, if he doesn't have too many problems with them.

Or you can put him on a regular regimen of once a week as a preventative. If you see he's having more trouble than usual, increase to every day for a couple of days, then go back to once a week.

Give hair ball remedy on an empty stomach at least an hour before food. Empty stomach because you want the stuff to glom to the fur in his system, not any food in his tummy, and it can also interfere with nutrient absorption, that's why you wait an hour before feeding.

There are many brands and formulas available. I rotate between three, cat lax, petromalt and the tomlyn brand of laxatone.

PS if the coughing continues for more than a couple days, especially after the hairball remedy dosing, bring Tuffy to the vet, as there may be something else going on, or, he may need more help passing the fur. Hairballs can cause very serious health problems sometimes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts