Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the cats at the sanctuary is going bald on his belly and 'knees'. He's active, eating/drinking fine, no vomiting or diarrhea - just balding.
We took him to the vet, thinking it was thyroid... doesn't seem like an allergy, because the skin is not flaky or overly oily - seems perfectly fine. The first thing the vet did, was pluck out a few hairs and look at them under the microscope. He had me look, and the roots/bulbs are fine, but many of the hair shafts were broken (which doubtfully happened just because of being plucked out). The hair folicles are also fine, and growing new hair... it's just being broken off. So the vet said it's physical trauma of some sort, like excessive grooming (licking, scratching) or rubbing. He was not tested for thyroid (yet), because of this diagnosis.
I have never noticed Dusky - or any of the other cats - doing any extra grooming to him. The only thing I can think of, is that another of the younger cat keeps pouncing on him and pinning him to the tile floor when they wrestle. Dusky is rather small (he's about a year old, so getting out of "kitten" stage, but still quite rambunctious), so he always ends up on the bottom. Of course, I'm only there for about an hour a couple times a week... so maybe it is excessive grooming, but I doubt it.

Anybody have any ideas what else it could be? I don't need -answers- to this problem, just hoping I can find something else I may be missing. For all we know, maybe when he cuddles with his mom or somebody else, they DO groom him. We're trying to watch extra careful the next week or so, maybe one of the volunteers can see something causing the baldness.
It'll be harder to adopt him if he's got bald spots... plus he's a black cat, and while still a "kitten", he's getting to be a bigger one and black adults are hard to find homes for anyway...without problems like looking scraggly!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My cat had some balding issues. I took him to the vet who said he had beautiful skin and healthy hair. There was no medical reason for the hair loss so it was determined to be a behaviour issue, not sure what it was caused by. (stress, anxiety, change...) the vet did put on a vitamin anyway. It took a couple months but he eventually grew his hair back and is back to normal now.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had an extra hour at the sanctuary today, and I watched Liberace (pouncer) and Dusky play... for 15 minutes straight! Actually, after about 10 minutes Dusky seemed done and kept trying to avoid Liberace, but would always get chased, cornered and pounced again. I really do think that's it, as there's lots of contact with the floor... and Liberace did get Dusky on his back once and started biting at the leg right where there's balding. So it must just be all the excessive romping. And maybe the stress of still having to romp when he really wants to quit but gets forced more?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts