Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do hairball control foods actually work? Addison has been kind of wheezing more than usual lately like he's got a hairball. I have Pounce hairball treats that he gets on a regular basis, and every once. Also, he's been eating Nutro Max canned on a semi regular basis, and I rotate the flavors so he gets a can of hairball management food now and then. Do they really help?

If so, I may pick up a bag of dry food specifically for hairballs and continue to rotate the canned. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I had limited success with Assumpta and dry hairball food. Back when we got her, I used Iams hairball (free-feeding) and she gained almost 6 pounds in less than 6 months (at that time, Iams did not make a Light hairball formula) Hill's SciDiet Hairball Light was somewhat better, weight-wise (she didn't lose much, but maintained okay, despite me feeding the amount for an 8-pound cat), but I wasn't happy with her coat, which had gotten *really* hideous-looking on Hill's prescription R/D (way too much fiber for Assumpta)....the Hairball light wasn't much of an improvement. Less hairballs than on R/D, but not by a whole lot. I personally haven't been terribly impressed with hairball-control food. I prefer Laxatone and the occasional strained squash now. I have been very gradually weaning Assumpta off high-fiber dry foods and will be switching over to a good-quality adult maintenance dry for her midnight snacks when this bag of Wellness Light is done.

Since switching to mostly wet food (Wellness) I haven't noticed any increase in hairballs, and the few I've seen seem (to me) to have been eliminated much more easily and have been smaller in size, but that's just my perception. It may be too soon to tell, but I think her unusual shedding is finally starting to slow down.

Also, coughing (like with asthma) can sound quite similar to a hairball hack, so if Addison continues to hack unproductively, you might start looking at possibilities besides hairballs. Assumpta recently had a bad bout of unproductive hacking that (after a vet visit and antibiotics to rule out respiratory infection) finally produced a hairball so enormous that I had to save it and take it in to show the vet. :oops: But she'd been hacking for almost a week with no hairball, so I decided it was time to see the vet.

Have you tried something like vaselne or laxatone to help Addison move the hairball? That may do the trick without the need for a hairball diet.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just assuming its a hairball, because I've never actually seen him cough one up, and just go by how it sounds (remember, I'm kinda new to cats). So far all I have to go on is Puss in Boots from Shrek 2 (lol!). I remember coming home one time to find a nasty yellowish puke on the floor, but that was months ago and haven't seen anything since.

Its almost like he's just trying to clear his throat because he'll breath really hard and kinda wheeze, and you can kinda hear some phlemmy stuff break, then he stops and goes on with whatever he was doing.

I should probably try to brush him more. I'm horrible about not doing it at all because he fights me to chew on the brush, and really doesn't seem to like the brushing all that much. That should help.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I don't know if it helps or not, because my cats decided they'd rather starve than eat it! So, I put hairball remedy gel on Blueberry's leg and rub it in so he doesn't shake it off. That works well, that and a switch to more canned food. I think the moisture in the food is helpful. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Sometimes cats will be able to move a hairball sufficiently just by hacking, and it can then pass through the digestive system. But the "hack" and a cough can be hard to tell apart. I'd try an occasional dose of vaseline or laxatone to see if that helps grease things up a bit. If you're really interested, you can check his stool to see if you find any lumps of fur :p

You could try getting Addison one of those "Love Gloves" to see if he'll let you brush him more. It's a big cloth mitten with short rubber studs on it. I use one on Assumpta's belly (when she lets me). Also, I use two brushes, so that when she swats the first one out of my hand to play with it, I just keep going with the second, and keep swapping back and forth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts