Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My very fuzzy Dusty has quite a hard time with hairballs... I used to give him "hairball formula" cat food, but it just doesn't help, so we haven't bothered with that lately.

I try my best to brush him at least once a week to prevent him from swallowing too much hair. But with the warmer summer months, he sheds quite a bit and he constantly grooms anyways, which means he swallows quite a bit.

Lately it seems that he is puking up a hairball about once a month... Does this seem normal? I thought it was a little too often at first, but it seems reasonable considering how fluffy he is and how much he must take in. Should I be giving him something to help "pass" the hair in the opposite direction, or would that cause issues?

Any help is appreciated and thanks!

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
I give my rabbits a malt-flavored cat hairball remedy on a weekly basis to prevent any problems (rabbits cannot vomit, so hairballs are a big deal!) The product has instructions on the back both to "Eliminate Hairballs" and also to "Prevent Hairballs". It's just a petroleum mix, it helps the hairball slide on through :wink:

·
Registered
327 Posts
i give my cat laxatone and he has not had a hairball for over 2 months

1 - 3 of 3 Posts