Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading several posts lately that a cat coughing/hacking could also be an indication of worms?

So now I'm wondering since Tuffy seems to hack at a hairball almost every other day could it be worms? Or am I safe in assuming that is not the case and it really is a hairball since ...

Up until a few months ago he was going to the vet for all his kitty shots and surgery and every time I took a poo sample to be checked for worms and he never had any -- and since then he has been on revolution every month.

I give him a hairball remedy greasy icky looking stuff LoL - which he takes well enough but a day or so later he's hacking again. He never actually throws up with it, just coughs, and hacks, doing that stretch out his neck thing, seems to bring something up in his mouth and I see him swallow it again, and then is fine for a day or so.

I just get abit freaky when I hear worms mentioned - call it a phobia of mine.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Cats get worms from fleas and eating rodents. Since he's been on Revolution, I wouldn't worry about fleas being a source. Does he eat mice? Revolution is not effective on tapeworms.

If he's an indoor cat, worms would not be likely.

I wouldn't worry too much. Most cats hack from time to time. The laxatone (or similar) will help with the hairballs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts