Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I was wondering if you can help me out, my little Radar has been coughing alot it sounds as though he is trying to cough something up I think it maybe a hairball any idea how to solve this or should I take him to the Vet

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
First off, your cats are VERy cute :) I LOVE orange cats :) About the hairball, you could try some over-the-counter hairball medicine from Petsmart....I can't remember what its called, but it comes in a tube that looks like toothpaste. You could try that before dragging him to the vet.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Vaseline (petroleum jelly) is pretty good for hairballs; I think it's better than those from the pet store because they add some bad stuff to it.

Dunga has sometimes hairball and she coughes it out......

I don't know in what kind of danger Radar is if he isn't able to cough it out. :( Also, what if it's not a hairball but he has some other problem?

Hopefully you will get more answers....

I think you should watch him closely and if he gets worse, I would take him to the vet - just in case.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Assumpta is the Hairball Queen. :roll: No matter how much I groom her, she still tends to get them very easily, always has. The vaseline or prepared hairball gels can help to move it through his intestines, and sometimes just the hacking dislodges the hairball so the cat can eliminate it. Does he seem constipated? Or are you noticing a larger-than-normal amount of hair in his stools?

Has Radar ever had hairballs before? It can be difficult to distinguish between a hairball hack and a cough. If it's been going on for a while and he's not producing a hairball, you might consider a visit to the vet, both to ensure that he doesn't have a hairball blocking his intestinal tract and to rule out the possibility that it may actually be a cough. I took Assumpta in a couple of weeks ago after a few days of non-productive hacking, and the vet and I both thought it was a cough and started her on antibiotics to rule out infection. Several days later, she brought up an enormous hairball, and the hacking stopped :oops: <sigh>...but I was concerned that she was having an uncharacteristic difficulty (usually she yaks them right up, usually in my work boots), so I don't regret taking her in.

If you're concerned, if it continues without producing anything, or if Radar experiences constipation or lack of appetite, or symptoms of respiratory problems, by all means call your vet. But trying the vaseline treatment certainly might help him if he does have a hairball issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts