Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My long haired cat hacks up the most disgusting hairballs on a regular basis. I can't really groom him yet, we haven't progressed to the point he's okay with it. It's upsetting to him still. I tried special paste on his food which boasted it was so yummy cats would eat it from the tube. He ran away and hide from me for two days when I tried it on him. He didn't lick it at all. It was still crusted up on his foot when he decided to forgive me. Do any of the hairball formula foods work? He's SUPER picky. He only eats hard food when I make it clear I'm not giving him soft food(I only do soft food every few days). If I mixed the hairball paste with soft food would it still work? Is there anything I can do to help him? He's hacking up these things every other day. It's not just for him honestly, he pukes them up in front of my bedroom door or on the mat in front of the sink. I've stepped on more then I care to think of. Help please!!

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Canned pureed pumpkin (be sure it's plain pumpkin), 1 tbsp mixed in their canned food once a day keeps hairballs passing through the OTHER direction.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I, too, swear by canned pumpkin. Be sure you buy pure canned pumpkin, NOT pie filling. One tablespoon is the minimum dose. Any less than that will not be effective.

I have two cats on it. One cat does best with half a tablespoon twice a day, the other does best with the pumpkin servings split up between three servings.

When I open a new can: I put one tablespoon size servings in ice cube trays. I get 32 tablespoon servings per can (so, 16 days worth)

Freeze over night, just long enough for the servings to be frozen enough to remove from the trays. Then store them in a plastic freezer bag. Every night, before I go to bed I take out two of these frozen servings and put each one in a little glass jar, in the refrigerator. (the jars are labeled per cat) for the next day.

I have not had to use hair ball remedy and have had no hair ball vomiting since starting this.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I, too, swear by canned pumpkin. Be sure you buy pure canned pumpkin, NOT pie filling. One tablespoon is the minimum dose. Any less than that will not be effective.

I have two cats on it. One cat does best with half a tablespoon twice a day, the other does best with the pumpkin servings split up between three servings.

When I open a new can: I put one tablespoon size servings in ice cube trays. I get 32 tablespoon servings per can (so, 16 days worth)

Freeze over night, just long enough for the servings to be frozen enough to remove from the trays. Then store them in a plastic freezer bag. Every night, before I go to bed I take out two of these frozen servings and put each one in a little glass jar, in the refrigerator. (the jars are labeled per cat) for the next day.

I have not had to use hair ball remedy and have had no hair ball vomiting since starting this.
Will it somehow hurt a cat without hairballs? My other cat has never had this issue. I'd have to put it in both cats food because my hairball hacker is somewhat of a food hog and goes between both food dishes. Also would regular pure baked pumpkin puree work? My Grandma has a ton she would give me. It's just pumpkins she baked and then pureed afterward to can herself.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I do similar. I put a sheet of wax paper on a cookie sheet and drop tablespoon fulls onto it. Then tuck the cookie sheet in the freezer until they are solid. I store them in a freezer bag as well.

My cats get them everyday...MowMow has eaten it every day for about 3 years with no problem.

During pumpkin season I cook real pumpkin for them. I just cube it (without the skin) and nuke it until it's soft but not mushy.

Be prepared for JUMBO size poop. LOL. Fiber adds bulk. ;)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Will it somehow hurt a cat without hairballs? My other cat has never had this issue. I'd have to put it in both cats food because my hairball hacker is somewhat of a food hog and goes between both food dishes. Also would regular pure baked pumpkin puree work? My Grandma has a ton she would give me. It's just pumpkins she baked and then pureed afterward to can herself.
I can't answer the question about your Grandma's pumpkin for sure, don't know if baking it would remove the fiber benefits, someone who cooks more than I do might know?

The pumpkin will not hurt the kitty who does not have hairball issues.

You might have to start with small amounts to get them used to the taste. My one girl had no trouble with 1/2 tablespoon added to one of her meals in the morning and one in the evening. (they eat canned food only) The other, I had to start with very tiny amounts, in every meal (they get 6-7 servings a day) and gradually work up to 1/3 tablespoon in 3 of her servings.

They might seem to poop more at first, as pumpkin is a fiber, and their colon and intestines will get good and cleaned out. A good fiber though, not a stool bulk forming fiber that could cause other problems.

You might want to take the time and effort to teach your cats to eat on a schedule and eat from their own dishes only. My cats each have their own Meal Spot, and sit at their Spots and wait to be served. :) If a cat leaves a dish without finishing, I pick it up, I do not leave it down for the other cats.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I do similar. I put a sheet of wax paper on a cookie sheet and drop tablespoon fulls onto it. Then tuck the cookie sheet in the freezer until they are solid. I store them in a freezer bag as well.

My cats get them everyday...MowMow has eaten it every day for about 3 years with no problem.

Wax paper and cookie sheet what a good idea! That would be easier than ice cube trays. Unfortunately a cookie sheet wouldn't fit in my tiny ice-box type freezer :grin:

During pumpkin season I cook real pumpkin for them. I just cube it (without the skin) and nuke it until it's soft but not mushy
I guess that answers the question about Grandma's pumpkin!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

During pumpkin season I cook real pumpkin for them. I just cube it (without the skin) and nuke it until it's soft but not mushy.

Be prepared for JUMBO size poop. LOL. Fiber adds bulk. ;)
Awesome! Thanks! I can deal with giant poops, at least I don't step on them! haha

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't answer the question about your Grandma's pumpkin for sure, don't know if baking it would remove the fiber benefits, someone who cooks more than I do might know?

The pumpkin will not hurt the kitty who does not have hairball issues.

You might have to start with small amounts to get them used to the taste. My one girl had no trouble with 1/2 tablespoon added to one of her meals in the morning and one in the evening. (they eat canned food only) The other, I had to start with very tiny amounts, in every meal (they get 6-7 servings a day) and gradually work up to 1/3 tablespoon in 3 of her servings.

They might seem to poop more at first, as pumpkin is a fiber, and their colon and intestines will get good and cleaned out. A good fiber though, not a stool bulk forming fiber that could cause other problems.

You might want to take the time and effort to teach your cats to eat on a schedule and eat from their own dishes only. My cats each have their own Meal Spot, and sit at their Spots and wait to be served. :) If a cat leaves a dish without finishing, I pick it up, I do not leave it down for the other cats.

How would I teach that? My other cat, who I've had since birth is a grazer. He prefers to eat small amounts through the day. If I restricted it my other cat, AKA, THE HOG, would eat it all since I would be restricting him as well. They have separate bowls but trade off through the day. Leo, the none hog haha, never eats more then a few bites at a time. He's always been like that. I think he might have digestion issues because even when we flew overseas and he didn't get to eat at all for that flight(almost 24 hours) he still ate in tiny spaced out portions afterward even though I knew he was starving.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Pumpkin fiber doesn't add bulk. They might poop a little more at a time, or more often, at first, as any old sludge gets cleaned out of their colon and intestines, but eventually their bowel movements will be normal canned fed cat poops. (three or four little tootsie rolls, either a link of them or separated, depending on the cat :))

I feed small servings for each meal, instead of large servings. They get four meals a day: breakfast, a snack if I come home for lunch, supper, then a snack before I go to bed. Each meal is split up into two or three servings. Since all my cats are on different canned diets, this works really well.

For instance: One cat's food comes in 6 ounce cans, of which she gets 5.25 ounces a day. For breakfast she gets two servings of 1/8 of a can (.75 ounces) each, about 45 minutes apart. The second serving has her first pumpkin in it. If I can't come home for lunch that day, she gets a third serving of .75 ounces, right before I leave the house. If I plan to come home, she gets that serving when I do. So, either way, by the time I come home at night, she has had half her food for the day. (3 servings)

Her first supper serving (fourth overall) has her cosequin and her second pumpkin in it, her fifth, an hour later, has her last pumpkin. Her last serving of the day, at bedtime, has her proviable in it.

The other two cats are on the same schedule though their serving sizes differ both from the cat above, and from each other. But they all end up having all the food they need, spread out throughout the day. And nobody barges, nobody gets overweight, nobody scarfs-and-barfs (eats too fast then regurgitates).

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thanks for the pumpkin tip! I had no idea it could help with hairballs. Josie gets them occasionally and I've tried the paste which she hates and the chewy hairball treats, but I'm not crazy about the ingredients and I don't think they work, anyway. I give my dogs pumpkin fairly regularly but now I might try giving Josie some pumpkin, too.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm going to have to try this as well, seeing as how the weather has been so unseasonably warm, and they're shedding up a storm. I've been trying to use the furminator on them every night, but I have a couple of them who don't tolerate it well and then start howling like I'm killing them. With the move coming up in a week, and trying to pack, they've also been stress shedding also.

·
Banned
154 Posts
I've recently tried pure pumpkin for Mimi's constipation and "rock ball" poop issues. :razz: no way, no how, she says. The vet told me to try miralax to soften her stools. She has never hacked up a hairball, but it doesnt seem like its coming out the other end either - or if it is, I don't notice it. Everyone I know has a cat that loves pumpkin. Not my girl!

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've recently tried pure pumpkin for Mimi's constipation and "rock ball" poop issues. :razz: no way, no how, she says. The vet told me to try miralax to soften her stools. She has never hacked up a hairball, but it doesnt seem like its coming out the other end either - or if it is, I don't notice it. Everyone I know has a cat that loves pumpkin. Not my girl!
My one kitty didn't either, it took a long time to get her to accept it. The first cat I tried it with, I am giving it to her for constipation, and it has been a wonderful success. She never objected to it added to her food, and it has changed her life as far as being able to poop. She's even slimmed down (even though I haven't reduced her food) and is way more lively

But my girl who needs it for hairballs, I had to start with very tiny amounts at first to help her get used to the taste. I was adding less than a quarter teaspoon at a time to her food to start. And, as always, warming the meal before serving. Now she gets 1/3 tablespoon added to three of her six servings a day, and eats it without complaining.

I would have turned to Miralx, for constipation, if the pumpkin wasn't a success.

There are some cats who just won't tolerate ANY messing about with their food though, but I wouldn't give up just yet.

·
Banned
154 Posts
I'm happy to say Mimi is now eating pumpkin in her food - only about 1/2 tsp in each of her two meals ... and I've not seen much of a change in her constipation/"rock balls" issue yet (it's been a little over a month since we started the pumpkin)... I'm hoping to bump her up to a full teaspoon in each meal eventually.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
none of my cats will eat pumpkin. well, i only tried it with two, but the youngest is so picky about his food and i don't know why. i tried almost every hairball remedy on the market, ("mmm it's tasty too, just like cat candy,") uhhhh . . . no it isn't lol.

so, what i have been reduced to is mixing meat baby food (chicken usually--and gerber's doesn't use onions so it's safe) 50:50 with vaseline. i only give the older two less than a tsp. a day (and they want more).

i give diotima some baby food in addition to her regular food to keep her weight stable (about 1/3 of a jar a day), but baci has to lick the spoon.

the weird thing is that the youngest doesn't like baby food! i know, i'm as shocked as you are. he just turns up his nose. he turns up his nose at blue buffalo canned food as well (unless i cut his dry food way down and he gets ravenous). i don't care too much that he doesn't like baby food, so i may be trying out the pumpkin again. but i don't even like it lol so it would be hard for me to force it on him.

vaseline won't hurt them. it goes through their system undigested. it's in most hairball remedies you buy, along with a lot of other stuff that's supposed to be delicious.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'm happy to say Mimi is now eating pumpkin in her food - only about 1/2 tsp in each of her two meals ... and I've not seen much of a change in her constipation/"rock balls" issue yet (it's been a little over a month since we started the pumpkin)... I'm hoping to bump her up to a full teaspoon in each meal eventually.
That's the way, slowly introducing it so she gets used to it. You may have to split the meals up, feeding smaller servings more often. One full tablespoon a day is needed, to be really effective.

none of my cats will eat pumpkin. well, i only tried it with two, but the youngest is so picky about his food and i don't know why. i tried almost every hairball remedy on the market, ("mmm it's tasty too, just like cat candy,") uhhhh . . . no it isn't lol.

so, what i have been reduced to is mixing meat baby food (chicken usually--and gerber's doesn't use onions so it's safe) 50:50 with vaseline. i only give the older two less than a tsp. a day (and they want more).

i give diotima some baby food in addition to her regular food to keep her weight stable (about 1/3 of a jar a day), but baci has to lick the spoon.

the weird thing is that the youngest doesn't like baby food! i know, i'm as shocked as you are. he just turns up his nose. he turns up his nose at blue buffalo canned food as well (unless i cut his dry food way down and he gets ravenous). i don't care too much that he doesn't like baby food, so i may be trying out the pumpkin again. but i don't even like it lol so it would be hard for me to force it on him.

vaseline won't hurt them. it goes through their system undigested. it's in most hairball remedies you buy, along with a lot of other stuff that's supposed to be delicious.
My cats don't like baby food either. :)

Baby food can cause constipation in cats with long term use, so it may be defeating the purpose.

Frustrating, I know.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
none of them seem constipated. well, diotima used to get that way occasionally but all three cats are going on a regular basis. and stinky (picky eater) has NORMAL bm's now instead of stinky soft-serve.

baby food is low-residue so i see how it could be binding but i think the vaseline helps move things along. i use miralax myself so i have it, and i might try it on houdini if need be because i know it's tasteless.

and the vaseline is totally working on the hairballs. i know brushing is supposed to work, and i do brush almost every day, somehow though the black one seems to be affected if no one else is. maybe because she's old, i don't know.

when i find poops on a string (they somehow eat one of my hairs) i start laughing.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Oh, thank you all for this thread!
I JUST walked in to find a hairball on the kitchen counter- ewwwwww.
First time ever for my household. I have three cats and no idea which one did this.
Should I start the pumpkin for all three of them? Wait and see if it happens again? Wondering if this is an isolated incident or something I need to get on top of immediately.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts