Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have plans for All Hallows Eve?

I bought my pumpkin today!

Got the stuff for my Zombinator costume: black jacket, shades, gun (CLEARLY and VISIBLY a toy :)).

I dunno. This time of year there's just SOMETHING...

Apples, candy, kids, jackos, crisp fall weather...

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
My favorite holiday! I hand out candy on Halloween night. I started working on the gift baggies last night. A few pieces of good candy, a few little toys, and some little glow in the dark halloween tattoos.

I don't usually carve the pumpkins, I like cooking and baking with them after they've done their job as decoration. I'll paint a few. I'm thinking a black silhouette of a haunted house and I'll do the windows with a bright glow in the dark paint.

My indoor wreath is done. I just finished the ornament for my door. A shadow box from Goodwill, some glow sticks from the dollar store, and some cheesecloth I soaked in tea to discolor. A total of about 3.00 finished her up. I'm quite pleased with her!

I started my death shrouded skeletan, but he's not quite done yet. Here he is...not very impressive. He'll look better by the end of this weekend when I get some time to work on him. I picked up some wire coat hangers to get his arms outstretched...he's looking a little limp... I also need to stain the fabric strips under his cheesecloth. It's too white. Maybe rub a little 'grave dirt' on it too.

The pumpkin will go to work to set on my desk. The employees bring their kids in from 2pm-5pm for trick or treating so we had to decorate a little.
I picked up this guy (at least his suit, head, and shoes) and Goodwill. He's stuffed with bubble wrap from packages. I'll put the bowl of candy in his lap for the kids. I'll keep a bowl aside for the littler kids who might not want to get that close to him (a co worker suggested that, he said his girls would never go near that thing)... He's not quite done either. He needs more packing, better gloves, and I'll probably use a red sharpie to give him some nails/claws.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm boring. I'll hand out candy, but that's about it.

I was in a pet store the other day and there was a woman there trying costumes on her cat and he was letting her. I think that was the most mello cat I have ever seen.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish we got more trick-or-treaters. I'm thinking, what to make and bring to the par-tay! Mulled cider? A nachos plate, maybe...

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Krissy, my daughter had to do a book report on the nurses during the Civil War. What we did to create realistic strips of dirty, bloodied bandages was to take an old, all white flat bed sheet, and ripped it into smaller strips. What we did next was take the strips and rubbed them all over the grass outside our apartment to give them a slightly grass stained look. After that, we found a patch of dirt that wasn't as wet as mud, but not dry either. We tossed the grasse stained strips dirt to give them the look as if they had been on the battlefield. Finally, for the most realistic part, we took an old aluminum serving tray from some frozen lasagna (it was clean) and poured red food dye in the bottom. We took all of our dirtied, grass stained strips and dumped them in the tray. With our hands, we swirled the strips all around, tossing them to make sure there wasn't any uneven spots. We hung them up to dry in the house. The next morning, we had Civil War-style bandages. They came out AWESOME...and a little too realistic. My daughter was in the fourth grade, so when she brought the bandages to class, some of her classmates where a bit freaked out and her teacher was suspicious. The teacher called me and I told her that it wasn't real blood, but red food dye. She was impressed.

But anyway, if you want to add some bloody looking strips to your skeleton, I highly recommend red food dye. It's very realistic looking.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
:) I love Halloween :)
When we lived in Florida, we had mobs of trick or treaters, I loved going to Costco and getting a box of full sized candy bars to hand out- cheaper than the mini bars if you have loads of trick or treaters, plus the kids LOVED it :)
I also had the perfect Halloween cat in my dear, departed Mr. Ponty- long haired gorgeous black Maine Coon wannabe...

Here in rural New England, we don't get trick or treaters- our drive is nearly 1/4 mile long and no close neighbors. :( So we close up the house and take Nick trick or treating in the nearest densely populated neighborhood. The schools are very sweet here, we still have a "harvest parade" where the kids dress up, and the parents come to watch their little ones. I'm baking brownies for the class party :)

Very old fashioned here, though, mulled cider, gorgeous leaves, kids laughing in the evening light walking through rustling fallen leaves, and some neighbors still hand out apples as a treat. :)

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
So we close up the house and take Nick trick or treating in the nearest densely populated neighborhood.
I live in one of those destination neighborhoods. If the weather is nice we get hundreds of kids. It's a huge party atmosphere. I usually close up the house, take my candy and go across the cul-de-sac to my neighbor's house. We hang out on their farmer's porch, hand out candy and enjoy a few adult beverages. She always has a bunch of people there and lots of snacks and food.

This year, after trick or treat is over it will morph into a 50th birthday party for the husband. Should be a fun night, I'm hoping the weather cooperates.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I live in one of those destination neighborhoods. If the weather is nice we get hundreds of kids. It's a huge party atmosphere.
:D Wish we had that here! By densely populated, I mean a cul de sac with 20 houses on 1-3 acre lots, lol. Maybe 50 kids total go out in our little town :mrgreen:
Sometimes I miss the FL days, I used to go all out for the kids (I had none at that point). I still dress as a 'pretty witch' when we trick or treat here. Love it!

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Here in Oregon it depends on the rain. If it POURING, i'll be eating candy all weekend. If it's not raining i'll have tons of kids. I lock up at 9:30 though. after then the kids are too big and on occasion creepy(not because of their costumes).

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
Speechie...I'm a bit further south than you so we're more densely populated. But most of our town doesn't have side walks with 1 acre lots and very few street lights, so very dangerous for people/kids to be out walking. I live in a subdivision that that is 100 houses on 100 acres. 2/3 of it is common property wetlands, so we're on 1/3 acre lots with sections built around the wetlands. So there will be 15-20 houses, then a little walk, then a bunch more houses etc.

I lock up at 9:30 though. after then the kids are too big and on occasion creepy(not because of their costumes).
T or T is 6-8 here...just because of those creepy older people. I won't even say kids because sometimes it's adults.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I won't even say kids because sometimes it's adults.
Exactly. I'm a single woman living alone, I don't want to open my door to a strange giant teenager or adult wearing a mask.....

Not to mention what kind of adult would actually go door to door asking for candy.....
So yeah..

On a weeknight I'd shut the lights by 9. Since it's Friday I'll give it to 9:30.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm. Unsavory characters...maybe try having something for the parents, too? Invite 'em in for some wine and cheese, talk, get caught up. Neighbors communicating is an effective deterrent to someone who's up to no good.

Oh, and KILLER decorations Krissy!

Tatoos, good candy, I might just drop by! lol

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
We used to have a neighbor who had a keg of beer for the adults...

·
Registered
836 Posts
We used to have a neighbor who had a keg of beer for the adults...
We have someone in the neighbourhood who sets up a haunted house in their garage every year for the kids--and the adults get shots of Bailey's while they wait! :D

I used to go all out for Halloween, it's my favourite holiday, but I have so little spare time these days that I'm lucky if I get a couple of pumpkins carved in time. :( We live in the suburbs on a residential street that intersects two other streets that tend to have a lot more houses "open for business" than ours does. Cutting down our street means missing all the houses West of us on both streets, which intersect a kilometer West of us anyway. The lots on my street are bigger too, and we have a long driveway, so we're lucky if we have 20 kids show up. Jack-o-lanterns on our front porch are a bit hard to see from the street as well. I've always kind of wanted to carve a whole lot of pumpkins and stick them all over the place. I did have a couple on the roof one year, and that looked pretty cool. I'm thinking I might pick up a couple of pumpkins on the way home from work tonight--they should last okay if I start carving them this weekend, right?

I have this super awesome idea for a Halloween dinner party set up in the woods, but I'd need a private venue/friend's house/cottage to set it up, since it wouldn't really be feasible otherwise.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have this super awesome idea for a Halloween dinner party set up in the woods, but I'd need a private venue/friend's house/cottage to set it up, since it wouldn't really be feasible otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Hey...that sounds SOLID! Do you have any place in mind? The cottage could work... Or do you mean IN THE WOODS! Weather permitting, that would be classy! Setting up a table in the autumn woods, in costume...

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have this super awesome idea for a Halloween dinner party set up in the woods, but I'd need a private venue/friend's house/cottage to set it up, since it wouldn't really be feasible otherwise.
Hey...that sounds SOLID! Do you have any place in mind? The cottage could work... Or do you mean IN THE WOODS! Weather permitting, that would be classy! Setting up a table in the autumn woods, in costume...[/QUOTE]

Yes, like, actually in the woods! :D There would be lanterns set up along a path through the trees and you would follow the lanterns to the dinner party, which would be in a clearing surrounded by trees with lanterns or fairy lights hanging from them. In the centre there could be a long, rustic dining table set up with stumps or really rustic wooden chairs. I have the idea that there would be a bunch of different animal masks that represented the different forest animals, and people could choose from them if they didn't have a costume. I so want to do it!

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
Dt8...I wanna come, I wanna come!
Thats sounds like a blast! Awesome idea!:p:D

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I'll be working in St' Fagan's Museum - telling ghost stories, folk customs, etc. most of the week leading up to Halloween adn then in Oysterouth Castle on the night - working night for me.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts