Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am always on the lookout for grain free higher protein canned foods as Hannah tends to get bored if she does not get enough variety. Some of the foods she really likes have some rice in them so I compromise. She will only eat pate types (chunks or sliced end up laying there with all the gravy licked off).

Luckily for me she has no problems with trying new foods and it never seems to upset her digestion or cause problems. If she hates a food I pretty much know within 2 min. Her current favorites are Natural Balance Ultra, Chicken soup adult and wellness core chicken. Other flavors of these brands were thumbs down. She outright rejected natures variety instinct canned and nature's logic (yet she loves NV kibble, go figure).

Saturday and yesterday we tested EVO Cat and Kitten Turkey and chicken. I chose it for the high protein to fat ratio (12% protein) compared to the other EVO 95% formulas. She practically inhaled it and licked her bowl clean so EVO is a thumbs up.

Tonight's dinner was Blue Freedom grain free, at 9% protein a little lower than I like but it's good to have options. She likes this one too, ate it enthusiastically. This is the only Blue canned food she has eaten all of.

Tomorrow we will test Halo grain free pate (11% protein). Stay tuned!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Halo grain free pate was a hit also. It has a drier consistency than EVO so I added a little water. Usually when I buy food for "taste testing" Hannah rejects at least 50% of whatever I buy so I am happy with this round. As far as expense, EVO is the cheapest per ounce for 5.5 ounce cans followed by Halo grain free chicken, the Blue freedom is by far the most expensive ($33 for 24 3oz cans!). It also has the lowest protein % (9%) so I will keep it in mind as an option but will not add it to the regular rotation.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I am personally kind of horrified by Nature's Variety. All of their canned flavors list "Montmorillonite Clay" as the fifth ingredient. I really don't think clay is a necessary thing in a cat's diet >_>

I've wanted to try EVO 95% with my cat.

She loves Weruva and Ziwipeak, and both are fantastic foods (in my opinion!) Have you tried either brand? Weruva doesn't make "pate" types, but the foods look and smell so fantastic that it might be worth a try, even if Hannah isn't normally a "bits" girl!

The Ziwipeak is pate-style and seems to be of fantastic quality.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hannah won't eat Tiki or Weruva unfortunately, she will only eat pate type wet food. I wish she would because they are lower in fat and high in moisture and protein. She just licks at them and won't chew the chicken shreds.

Yeah the clay in NV and "animal plasma" in Nature's Logic kind of make me wonder. The clay is supposedly for minerals. She loves the NV kibble that has bits of freeze dried raw in it as a treat though.

Ziwi peak, Go! and pinnacle are on my list to try next.

I would love to get her on raw but she does not go for it. Once in a while when I am cooking I can get her to eat a little ground sirloin but that's it.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
I have Hound & Gatos here, and both the chicken and the rabbit are 98% meat. On another thread, some posters said that the rabbit was smushier than the other flavors.

I like Wellness Core, which is also 12% protein. I'm going to have to find some Ziwipeak, because a lot of people have mentioned it. I just haven't seen it anywhere.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
PS: my girls will also only eat pate, and the smushier the better. When I was first looking for more flavor variety, I only bought pate, which severely limits the options. I bought a mini food processor, and that's working wonders. If you put Weruva in there, you get cat food soup. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to try and blend up some Tiki chicken to see if she will eat it. Time is my biggest problem, between working and my commute I am gone 10 hours a day. Jacq, your taste test actually inspired me to try one, if I have time I will take pics for the next one.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
I had the opposite problem - my cat refused to eat any paté at all when she was still eating the cheap brands!

Looking forward to seeing future taste tests. I went overboard with mine but ended up with a huge rotation. Here's the thread I made (photo-heavy!); http://www.catforum.com/forum/38-health-nutrition/154751-get-io-off-friskies-food-adventure.html
LOL! I checked out this thread and the first picture made me laugh out loud. That's pretty much what the cat food cabinet looks like here too, and the log you were keeping is similar to the one I'm keeping.

I guess it is fairly common for kitties to start fussing right after you're convinced they love a food and buy a case of it. The local no-kill is getting a LOT of donated canned food lately, but I draw the line at giving away 23 cans of Wellness Core chicken,so my girls are currently being punished (uh, trained). They turned up their noses at dinnertime, so no food until right before I go to bed, and it'll be Wellness Core.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If your kitty enjoys EVO, you could also look for the Before Grain canned foods. Not only do they have 6 flavours you can rotate (Chicken, Salmon, Tuna, Turkey, Beef & Quail), it also contains no grains or vegetables just like EVO. It's about the same price, though sadly doesn't come in the large cans.

I had to put my furball on either EVO or B.G. because any kind of vegetables/grains in his food were giving him urinary problems (even Wellness was a no-go for him). He loves them both equally :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
My cats also get grain-free high protein wet foods, but they are also picky and the only one they will consistently eat and not get tired of are the Natural Balance Platefulls pouches. Have you tried those?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If your kitty enjoys EVO, you could also look for the Before Grain canned foods. Not only do they have 6 flavours you can rotate (Chicken, Salmon, Tuna, Turkey, Beef & Quail), it also contains no grains or vegetables just like EVO. It's about the same price, though sadly doesn't come in the large cans.

I had to put my furball on either EVO or B.G. because any kind of vegetables/grains in his food were giving him urinary problems (even Wellness was a no-go for him). He loves them both equally :)
Oddly enough she really didn't go for Before grain at all, she only liked the salmon.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My cats also get grain-free high protein wet foods, but they are also picky and the only one they will consistently eat and not get tired of are the Natural Balance Platefulls pouches. Have you tried those?
I have not, are they smooth? She is lazy and laps at wet foods and won't chew.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I needed litter so I grabbed a can of Tiki chicken at the pet store and blended it up. No dice, she sniffed at it and looked at me like I was nuts (that "um ok nice joke where is my real dinner" look). She loves chicken breast and would eat chicken baby food when she was ill so I know that's not the problem. There must be something in it that she does not like the smell of, probably the added oil and vitamins in the broth.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I was worried my cats wouldn't like Evo if I bought a case, but I bit the bullet and bought a case of the 95% Beef and a case of Wellness Turkey, both in the big 13 oz cans. The cats eat them both just fine. I have 2 cats and I open a can of one brand, divide it into portions using my kitchen scale, put them in small plastic containers and put them in the fridge or freezer. I have found that if I freeze them and then stick the frozen food in the microwave before I go to bed, just to sit at room temp where the cats can't get to it, then it's easier to handle in the morning (like 5am when I get up) than being refrigerated. I smoosh it up, add a little water because they like to be able to lap it up. I know some people might not think it's good food handling practice to let it thaw overnight but I haven't had a problem. The cats eat it fine and nobody has gotten sick. My cats really love the EVO beef, better than the wellness turkey I think. But they have been eating both just fine. When I order again I will get other flavors.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have not, are they smooth? She is lazy and laps at wet foods and won't chew.
My Josie loves the Natural Balance Platefuls, but I think Hannah may not like them. They are chunks in gravy, not pate. They're not very expensive (like $0.90 on sale) so if you wanted to try one out, it wouldn't cost much to see what she thinks of them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts