Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
It was a good 4th for me. I did not see any fireworks or anything, but I was at a friend's and spent some time in the pool. Now I could not find my sunscreen and figured no more than 2 hours in the pool before the peak sun hours would not be a problem. Well, I was quite wrong!

front

back

This was by far the worst side of me. Right now, it has ligthed up a bit. Despite its nasty appearance, it is not that painful. It has a slight tingle to it but the majority if the discomfort comes from the dry skin. So today, I am going to get some aloe to put on it.

After getting out of the pool, I just relaxed and had some chow. Took a little nap and then just relaxed in the evening. There was not too much home fireworks being discharged here probably because gas prices have curtailed such purchases. As a result, the kitties were not all nervous and the air did not smell bad from all the fireworks.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Donaldjr1969 said:
This was by far the worst side of me. Right now, it has ligthed up a bit. Despite its nasty appearance, it is not that painful. It has a slight tingle to it but the majority if the discomfort comes from the dry skin. So today, I am going to get some aloe to put on it.
When it does start to hurt, I have a friend who SWEARS by unsweetened, condensed milk. I think she adds a few cans to her bathwater. Never tried it myself, I don't do well in direct sun or heat for long periods (I am such a delicate flowah), so I rarely get the opportunity to get burned.

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
Smirkitty said:
Donaldjr1969 said:
When it does start to hurt, I have a friend who SWEARS by unsweetened, condensed milk. I think she adds a few cans to her bathwater. Never tried it myself, I don't do well in direct sun or heat for long periods (I am such a delicate flowah), so I rarely get the opportunity to get burned.
So far, the worst is over. It never did hurt. Rather it just felt like a very mild rope/rug burn. Since I do not take baths, only showers, I doubt the condensed milk would be of any help to me. :(

I can handle the heat and sunlight quite well. My problem is that I burn so darned easily! :( When I was in Centralia during May of this year, I got a burn on my neck only that blistered. Yet it did not feel all that bad. Yesterday, I obviously was wearing my bathing suit when I got burnt and as always, my shoulders got bore the brunt of it. Now I also got the patch down my back burnt but I barely notice that. And even so, my other shoulder is not quite as red as the one pictured. I suspect that since I lay on my sides during sleep, that is why the shoulders feel somewhat more aggravated. Simply put, far more of my body got burnt wearing my bathing suit than just my neck burn in Centralia. Yet I guess I am lucky that I have a high tolerance for sunburn pain. As said above, it is the dryness that is the most uncomfortable and as such, aloe is my best friend! :D

But whatever the case, I still had fun at the pool regardless of my burn or not! :)

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Donald......OUCH!

Send me more pics of your day at the pool!
Is this the same friend, same pool, as you showed me in the past?

What a gorgeous pool! Must be so time consuming to care for a
pool that large though.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Happy Belated 4th Everyone!!!:D:D:D

Donald, ouch! :(

We had a great one...My Uncle was staying with us so we had a BBQ, fireworks and a great time! Will post pictures and videos soon...

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
BoscosMum said:
Donald......OUCH!
Right now, it is not bad, Dawn. I even went for a 6 mile hike today. While I obviously had a shirt on vs my swimsuit, the shirt against my back did not even bother me at all. Right now, a bit of Solarcaine with Aloe is working wonders! :D

Send me more pics of your day at the pool!
Is this the same friend, same pool, as you showed me in the past?

What a gorgeous pool! Must be so time consuming to care for a
pool that large though.
Yup, same friend and same pool. She had a heck of a time getting it ready because her new cover that she got in 2006 tore over the winter. So she had a LOT of algae to clean. As far as keeping it clean, she shocks it once a week and uses those chlorine tablets in a floating dispenser for maintenence. And she runs her filter daily for 8-12 hours whether or not she or anybody swims in it.

I did not take any pictures of myself at the pool yesterday. I do have photos at the pool from last year. Not much has changed since then. Last year, I got a new bathing suit and I was wearing that one both yesterday and in the photos I took last year.

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
coaster said:
Jeez, Don, just looking at those pics of your burn made me flinch. :?
It's actually doing quite well, Tim. Showering is not uncomfortable at all, even with my usual hot showers.

Here we are 48 hours after the incident:

front

back

Still red, but notably lighter. You can see it is harder to find where the back of my swimsuit comes up to compared to the first set of photos.The center of my neck may be a bit red still from my walk yesterday, but it is going away. I only dislike the dryness as I said many times. But the aloe and the solarcaine are working quite well.

edit: What HAS helped with the burn over the last two days was to turn my air conditioning on despite the cool nights. I can sleep in a cold room rather well as I only need to bring the covers to a few inches below the base of the neck. But sleeping has not been an issue the last two days, thank goodness!

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
Well, for the heck of it, here is my sunburn 1 week and 1 day after I received it.

It began to peel a couple days ago but most of that seems to be gone. A couple spots blistered but that the wonderful Healing Brush tool in CS3 for covering them up! :lol: But the blistered area was very small and they did not appear until 48 hours after my burn. Maybe because I may have slept on that side more??

But with the exception of the peeling, my burn has now taken on a very light tan and it will remain with me for the rest of the summer. No big deal as I have been burnt in my bathing suit a couple times now. Three years ago, I got really scorched in my other bathing suit and the marks lasted into November! 8O I am very fair skinned as are my mother and father. My father also has red hair. So I have a triple whammy with respect to sunburn sensitivity.

Anyway, sorry to bring this up from Pg2 but I am a bit bored tonight. :D And I DO have a tube of Banana Boat Sport brand SPF50 sunblock lotion in my swim bag. :) Yeah, I know. I SHOULD have had my sunblock in my possession on July 4th! :oops:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts