Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Artie has been scared of little Mu since we brought him home. At first he would sniff him but then jump back and run when Mu sniffed him back. Lately he's been more comfortable and they sniff each other for a few seconds before Artie takes off.

Just now Artie was laying on the computer desk in his spot. The spot we've been having to feed him since he won't eat in the room that the kitten stays in.
Somehow Mu climbed up there. He's getting braver and more adventurous. I walked in and saw him up there sniffing Artie and I went over to get him since I don't want Artie getting stressed. I don't want to have to find a new place for him to eat!
Anyway, before I got to them I watched Artie kind of rub his head over the kitten's head. Then Artie started grooming Mu's face and head! It seriously brought tears to my eyes!

Artie lost his best friend almost 3 years ago and he's become a loner every since then. Him and Steppenwolf were very, very close. Seeing him love on Mu even just that little bit was very emotional for me.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Leah, reading this just brought happy tears to my eyes! I am so happy for you and Artie and little Mu!!
Very special indeed. :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's so funny because on 8/28 I came here just to ask about Artie's hairball problem.... I had no intention of getting a second cat. I never even imagined that Artie would like another cat friend. I guess I thought that way because he's an older cat and had lost his "life partner". I hope that doesn't offend anyone but we always jokingly thought of Steppenwolf and Artie as a distinguished older gay couple. Lol. They were inseparable. They would always look each other in the eye and then turn their heads at the same time and groom each other's faces simultaneously. It was so cute.

Again I had no intention on getting another cat.... I came here and someone mentioned the idea of a second cat and it planted a seed. Lol. I started thinking about another cat and browsing petfinder. How crazy is it that right after I decide that a second cat might be a good idea, my friend finds the kittens?? And that my husband, who has been adamant about no more cats, actually decides to get Mu for me?? Lol. It all fell into place like it was meant to be!

Honestly, it actually reminds me a little bit of Steppenwolf. He was our "meant to be" cat. My sister in law had given me a ride to work one day because our car was in the shop. When we pulled into the parking lot there was an older dark gray kitten running around the cars and rubbing on people's legs. When I got out of the car he ran right up to me purring loudly and rubbing on my legs. I started petting him and he jumped right up into my sister in laws car. I knew my husband said he wasn't a fan of cats but I felt so bad for this little guy that I asked my SIL to please take him home. We lived right next to each other so I figured that we could just keep him outside and "share" him. I thought about him all day and decided that I was going to ask my husband if we could keep him. When my SIL picked me up that afternoon I was very disappointed to hear that when she had gotten home and opened her car door, he had taken off and ran away and she hadn't seen him since. When I got home I walked around the neighborhood a little bit calling "here kitty" but had no luck. I walked into the house and there was a note on the table from my husband. It said "Babe, don't freak out. There's a cat in our bathroom. I'll explain when I get home." I held my breath and ran to the bathroom. There was the little dark gray cat! It turned out that the cat had ran away from my SIL and somehow found it's way INSIDE the cabinet factory that my husband worked in. The cat ran up to my husband and his coworkers about 10 minutes before break time and they were laughing and petting him wondering how he got in. After a few minutes a supervisor came out and said that someone better get rid of the cat or else he would, not very nicely. My husband, being the wonderful soft hearted guy that he is, stuck the kitten in his lunch bag until break time and then ran him to our house.
When my husband got home and told me his part of the story I just laughed and laughed. I said that he was meant to be our cat after all that. Then the song "Born to be Wild" came on and I said his name is Steppenwolf because he was born to be wild.

It's funny how things work out sometimes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh my gosh you've gotta be kidding me Leah! :mrgreen: Steppenwolf's story is AMAZING! And I love how you described his relationship with Artie :) So glad Artie is getting along with your new kitten! So so sweet!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh my gosh you've gotta be kidding me Leah! :mrgreen: Steppenwolf's story is AMAZING! And I love how you described his relationship with Artie :) So glad Artie is getting along with your new kitten! So so sweet!
I know! We used to joke that he was going to save us from a burning building or something one day because he was obviously supposed to be with us. He never saved our lives but he did give us a lot of love in his short 8 years.

I do have a question about Artie's behavior. Hopefully someone reads this and can answer. I didn't want to start another thread.

I've been thinking that Artie was scared of Mu but now I'm not sure. This is what happens...Artie walks over to Mu (or sometimes the other way around) and they sniff each other. Then Mu will get real close to Artie and Artie will jump up, meow loudly, and dart out of the room. At first I thought he was scared and trying to get away. I noticed tonight though that Artie would run off into the kitchen and then sit in there meowing loudly. Eventually he'd always come right back into the living room and go right to Mu. Then the same thing would happen, the sniffing, loud meow, and running away. Over and over.

Do you think Artie is trying to play? Maybe trying to get Mu to chase him?

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
I think that's exactly what Artie's trying to do! He's inviting Mu to a game of chase!
Way to go Artie! :D
Loved your story about Steppenwolf!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think that's exactly what Artie's trying to do! He's inviting Mu to a game of chase!
Way to go Artie! :D
Loved your story about Steppenwolf!
That's what I was thinking because with Mu still being so tiny, there are plenty of places for Artie to jump to get away from him. He chooses not to though so that has to mean something. :)

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
This is just the best story to begin my day of cleaning! =P

I'm so happy for Artie and Mu!! Way to go mom, AND Artie, AND Mu!!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
The grooming is a gentle way of telling Mu that Artie is the dominant cat in the hierarchy. Which means with that established, all is well between them now. :)

·
Banned
198 Posts
Leah---such wonderful stories..

I do have to say, I have a cat named Artie also!
I was wondering what your Artie looked like.
I am so glad you posted a picture of him.
Imagine my surprise when I saw that he is orange---my Artie is orange also!!

Wow! what a coincidence.
they look like twins!
Have to figure out a way to post his picture..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Leah---such wonderful stories..

I do have to say, I have a cat named Artie also!
I was wondering what your Artie looked like.
I am so glad you posted a picture of him.
Imagine my surprise when I saw that he is orange---my Artie is orange also!!

Wow! what a coincidence.
they look like twins!
Have to figure out a way to post his picture..
How neat! :) How old is your Artie? Mine is 10. He was actually found hiding under a grease trap in the Taco Bell parking lot as a kitten and the people who were with me wanted to name him Nacho. Another girl actually took him home first but her dog tried to eat him and so she brought him to my house that night. My husband was mad at first but after just a few minutes of playing with him, he had named him Artie and said we were keeping him. I don't know when my poor husband is going to just admit that maybe he does in fact like cats.....
Steppenwolf was more my cat and Artie has always been closer to my husband. Artie always gives my husband "high fives" on command. :)

I'm watching little Mu crawl all over Artie right now. Artie is just laying there and doesn't seem to mind a bit. :)

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
I think you are witnessing the genesis of a beautiful friendship!! Congratulations on Artie and Mu bonding!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WE HAVE A (GENTLE) KITTY WRESTLING MATCH IN PROGRESS RIGHT NOW!!

.....and here come some more happy tears.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Oh my goodness Leah, you have me all warm inside and I have happy tears for you and your boys, Mu's story and Steppenwolf's story, and of course of old man Artie... I just can't even explain. I am just such an animal lover - and I love to see things working out.

P.S -- I see that you let your husband pick the name of your little boy after all.

I think Steppenwolf changed your families lives forever, in a good way, and I think it's awesome the kind of relationship that Artie and him shared. I also think Artie and Mu will have a wonderful relationship too, it's already a beautiful beginning and this may have been what Artie needed, good luck and keep us posted. More pics please?

<3

1 - 19 of 19 Posts