Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, happy probably isn't the right word.

I got Sasha spayed yesterday, and they kept her overnight. I just brought her home and she's all crouched and grumpy. They gave her pain medicine this morning and it isn't due again until 7:30 this evening. I set her up in the small closet we have upstairs where we keep some of their litterboxes. She has her own litter box and food and water bowl in there. I figured I would give her a small space to start out with so she won't overdo it. She was fine for about ten minutes, now she's wanting to get out. She has stitches that she has to keep in for the next 7 to 10 days. The vet told me she was just starting to go into heat, so the uterus was a bit swollen, but she also told me Sasha had a slightly longer than normal uterus so she had to make the incision a wee bit longer, so of course I am concerned about her recovering well.

My plan was to keep her in the closet today and some of tomorrow at least, then move her into my bedroom. The vet suggested we keep her separated from Sherlock until she recovers so they won't be wrestling and he won't lick her stitches since she is doing such a good job of not messing with them herself (she is so feisty I really thought they would be sending me home with an e-collar because she wouldn't leave her site alone). Sherlock of course has been looking for her since I dropped her off at 7 yesterday morning, meowing and just looking sad. So keeping them apart the next week will probably be fun. They sniffed at each other while she was still in the carrier, no hissing, everything was fine. I put her in the closet and Sherlock sat outside the door and meowed at her a bit, so I'm not worried that they won't get along again when they get together again. I'm just worried about how to keep them apart for now.

The reason I don't want her in our room just yet is because I'm nervous she'll be jumping all over the bed (or trying to) and I don't want her ripping her stitches out. I'm sick with the flu and miserable myself so I can't really be following her everywhere and keeping her out of trouble. I go back to work Thursday supposedly and by then I was thinking she would be well enough to be in our room no problem, but I was just wondering, what do I do in the meantime? Should I keep her in the closet for today at least? It isn't a very small room by any means, but it isn't large enough and full of such stuff to encourage her to be jumping anywhere, which is what I wanted. I know lots of you have had your kitties spayed so I just wanted to get some advice. Sorry this is so long. I just want everything to go well for my little princess since she already had a rough start on life. She is about 6 months old now by the way, in case anyone was wondering her age.

·
Registered
469 Posts
When I got my female spayed she acted like nothing had even happened. I had her in my room and there was nothing I could do to convince her that she needed rest lol. She healed up beautifully.

I personally would keep her in the closet when you aren't with her and let her out when you can supervise her if you are very concerned with her stitches. If you know her sleepy times since you are sick maybe you can take her out of the closet at those moments to have a cuddly nap. I don't know how big Sasha's incision is, but when my vet does them they are usually only 2 or 3 stitches long. So it would take a good amount of play and twisting to rip them. I have no doubt Sasha will heal wonderfully. She has a mama that obviously cares about her and wants to do right by her!

On a side note I just want to say I got a good chuckle that a cat named Sherlock was investigating the disappearance of his good friend. Too cute!

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
My twins were running around like monkeys when they got home the same day. But since your kitty's spay was a bit more involved, I'd try to keep her quiet for at least a day or two. I don't think jumping up on the bed is too bad. My girls were chasing each other up to the top of a 6' tall cat tree.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I just had Satin spayed a few weeks ago, I brought her home and kept her in the back room the first night home, (second night after surgery) the next day I left her out and she was back to her old self. She healed wonderfully.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thanks for the advice guys! Pawsitively Nicole, ahha yeah, that's how he got the name Sherlock to begin with, since he is quite investigative. I've been a bit out of it today but she's actually done really well and been pretty quiet. My husband comes home soon so I will let her out then for a bit so we can watch her. I'm sure she will heal fine, just have to make sure Sherlock doesn't overdo it with her in his excitement to have her back :) it is cute though

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just had Satin spayed a few weeks ago, I brought her home and kept her in the back room the first night home, (second night after surgery) the next day I left her out and she was back to her old self. She healed wonderfully.

I meant to ask, she did alright then and Tuffy didnt try to bother her or roughhouse her too much? Cause Sherlock and Sasha normally have some epic wrestling matches, so I would be worried about letting her out because of that. But I guess I will just play it by ear so to speak and see how she does today and tomorrow. I'm sure she will heal fine, I'm just a worrywart.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Like Marie and JanRebecca, I let Abby out when I brought her home from the vet. She was a bit younger than Sasha (she was four months), but she was fine. I'd just keep a general eye on Sasha. I think that, by and large, cats know their own limitations.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got a look at her incision just now. It's about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long, has 4 stitches. The site is clean and nice, she has a great appetite and she is definitely wanting out of that room. I think I'm going to get my husband to help move a litter box into our room since I at the moment have pitiful strength, and I think I will just spend time with her there so she won't drive herself too crazy. I think it's more for my peace of mind that I want her to take it easy, but I know you guys are right. She'll be fine. She already exceeded my expectations of not picking at it haha. My sister's cat was spayed a couple of years ago and she ripped out her stitches, so I was paranoid about that.

ETA: I am going to keep Sherlock away from her until I can monitor them closely this weekend since I know sometimes he gets carried away with wrestling with her and he's almost twice her size. But I'll quit trying to be a worrywart :)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Moving her into your bedroom is a good idea...besides, a snuggly cat is the best cure for the flu! I hope both you and Sasha feel better soon.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Susan! She's usually such a cuddly girl I'm sure she will definitely help me feel better.

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
Here's Cali on her first day home with me, two days after she was spayed:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aww Marie, how cute. Well, Sasha's in the room with me. She's all over the place getting into stuff. I can't see Cali's incision too well, but Sasha's definitely looks pretty long, and it looks a tiny bit red. I don't know if I'm being paranoid or something. She hasn't been messing with it as far as I can tell, but she keeps jumping on and off the bed and just darting everywhere so it's hard to keep her still. Crazy girl. I bet she won't let us sleep a wink tonight. Haha, going to be a long week.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, sorry to keep posting so much, but in the last few minutes she's started going for her stitches. I guess I can get an e-collar in the morning, but in the meantime is there anything I can use to put on her to keep from doing it? She'll be fine for a moment then she lays down and grooms herself and it's like she remembers they're there and starts giving them a tug. Ah, I knew it was too good to be true that she hadn't been messing with it.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Do you have any old tights or leotards that you could cut to put around her body (with holes cut in for her legs)? If not, perhaps wrap her using an elastic bandage or a long piece of gauze. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

For what it's worth, I note that Abby tugged at her stitches, but she never tugged very hard...likely because doing so would have hurt...and she never ended up pulling the stitches out (although I appreciate that doesn't mean Sasha won't).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tried that, she pulled all of it off, so I just went to Walmart real quick and got a onesie, I saw that on an old thread here, just need to figure out how to cut the bottom part bigger so she can use the bathroom. I'll get a collar in the morning. I realize she may not pull the stitches out, but she seemed pretty persistent and it is looking kind of red so I figure I better be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
She ended up wriggling out of that too. Didn't get much sleep watching her. She picked on it once or twice but not like earlier. I'm just going to get one of those soft e-collars once the store opens. I figured she wouldn't make things easy for us heh.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts