Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm harness-training my three kits, and it's not going as well as I had planned. The main thing is that Thunder keeps getting out of the harness (with a little persistence) and I don't want to tighten it that much because it already looks pretty snug (and I have a hard time figuring which part to pull on. lol) and Raven (silly little guy) doesn't quite have the smarts to get out of it but keeps falling over, his balance doesn't seem that good in the thing.

Anyone have any helpful tips?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Do you have those thinner harnesses? Maybe try one with thicker straps on it that velcro like one those kitty holster harnesses. I think those would be more difficult to wiggle out of. I have a harness with thinner straps but my trick to keep him from wiggling out of it is whenever he tries I make sure I put a lot of slack of the leash so he can't wiggle out of it.

As for the balance thing, hopefully that comes with time and practice!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
For the little Houdini...strap that sucker on. Every time he gets out he's building a habit of getting out. Tighten it up to the point where he can't get out. Once he gives up and accepts the harness (like after a day or two) loosen it a bit.

The other kitten just needs to get uses to it. No biggie :)

Both my boys wore harnesses from 4 weeks to 9 months instead of a collar. You can safely leave them on all the time and that's the fastest way to get them used to it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
guess I got lucky. I bought harnesses that are made for cats and they have the plastic clips for the neck and body. I don't have to put them on that tight, just snug. They have thin straps too. the thicker strap I didn't like.

I put one on Annie and don't know if she was ever in one as she was a stray last month. But she didn't fight it and is about 3 yrs old. We didn't go outside tho....next summer I will do that with her. Marble is small but I found a small cat harness at a thrift store and it fits her snug so I don't think she will try to weasel out of it. She might tho.

I would put one on in the house and leave it on for a short time...then increase the times before you take them outside in it. Maybe a treat when it is first on to take their mind off of the gadget? And a treat when you take it off? Experiment.

·
Registered
728 Posts
This is the type of harness I use, it doesn't come off. I'm guessing you are using a thin strap type that is sold in pet stores? Strap it tight so he can't get out! He will struggle and resist it, but no learning will happen if he keeps getting out.

Falling over is normal. Mine never fell over or stopped moving, but just put it on for short times and do something to keep the cat busy -- play, food, anything to keep their mind off it and then take it off. Once the cat is more comfortable with it you can leave it on for longer periods without distraction. I was leaving mine on for 2-3 hours and he'd end up taking a nap with it on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I always tried to make it a pleasant experience. Now Lamb Chop knows that when I put it on her we are going outside and she loves that. All I have to do is get it and the leash and she runs to have it put on. Yes she wrestles a bit but could be a lot worse. She was so tiny when I got her she could wriggle out but now it's better and I don't mind putting it on her tight. I also used to let her play in her travel crate when she was tiny. She considers it a safe place and again if I take it out of the closet she will actually jump into it because she knows something good usually happens. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts