Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. It's been a few months sine I was harness training my cat. She's okay walking around with her harness at home ,but when it comes to outside, all she does is meow. The meow is like a scared meow. I try treats and petting her, but nothing is working. It comes to the point that I don't know what to do anymore. can someone help? She does some exploring only the bushes.

Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a similar problem with Connie. My gf started letting her out into the hallway with supervison. now she whines alot to get outside so we bought her a harness and leash (pink LAME!!!)My gf managed to get the harness on Connie but Connie seemed to forgert how to walk. She would move a leg and stop because she could feel the harnass and just didnt know what to do. We got her to walk around a little bt we still dont feel comfortable enougb yet to try the leash as well

·
Registered
119 Posts
My cat had to learn what the leash allowed him to do, and not do. At first he would try to run and jump (and of course the leash stopped him). Then when he was outdoors he did a lot of flesching (sp?)-where he opens his mouth a little, I think it is to better smell things.
However, over time, he now loves to walk outside. He isn't quite like a dog being walked, as he certainly doesn't heel, but he does love to go outside with his harness and leash.

·
Registered
27 Posts
well we finally got Connie harness on but she seems to be confused/afraid/uncomfortable/unsure. She is walking a little lower to the ground and is very hesitant with her steps. I think were going to have to slowly figure this out insterad of rushing it.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If she is scared when she gets outside, don't force her to go outside. Cats should really only go outside if they enjoy it. If you take a cat out that is scared you are asking for trouble. A scared cat might get out of their harness and run away who knows where to hide, or even worse dart into the very thing they are trying to get away from (a car, dog, etc.) You've leash trained her inside, so that should be enough for her in case of an emergency.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
It takes a while for a cat to feel comfortable in a harness, so it should be put on in the house and left on for part of the day until the cat is used to it and walks around normally without noticing it. Then it's time to put on the leash and let it drag it around for a while until it's used to that too. Take it out to a quiet area and let the cat explore. Walking a cat is really following it around to where it wants to go, and explore new scents. Very gradually you can try persuading it to go in the direction you want with a gentle tug and saying "come". Some cats respond to this, but some don't and just want to do their thing. Good luck. Go at it more slowly. If the cat really hates the outside and is very frightened, it's best not to force it. Sometimes a frightened cat can become aggressive and try to get away and it's surprising how quickly a cat can wriggle out of a harness. Keep that in mind.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I totally agree with what swimkris said - a cat should ONLY go outdoors if they enjoy it. Sounds like yours is scared - have you tried holding her when you first go out and talking to her - letting her know everything is ok? Tuffy is scared silly of the bird feeder but if I carry him past that he explores - we don't really go 'walking' it's more like I let him explore and I'm just there following him to keep him safe and out of trouble. But I wouldn't force the issue if I was you - she simply may not like or want to be outdoors. It can be a scary place if she's never been out before. How old is she?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I have 3 cats and 2 will go outside and explore a bit while the other cannot wait to get back inside. I stopped taking the latter outside altogether. She enjoys watching the others explore from her window perch, but not going outside herself. Just go slllllloooow. Kitty will let you know what to do.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Misa is only three.. I don't really yell at her or displine her of being scared. And I do hold her everytime I take her out and talk to her and she seems to be quite that way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It took Black Cat months to get used to a harness here. At first he would just lay on the ground and act like his back was broken. Then it was staying close to the open door, then further and further out into the yard. Takes time and patience.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh thanks guys. I'm going to try again one more time. If she does it again, I'll just give up, even though I'm not going to force her to do anything.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I tried again one more time and she was calmer than last time. Mostly by the bushes again and me petting her. I might just give up for now.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
You don't really have to give it up...Torri used to be terrified of being outside, but now she comes out and chases bugs, sniffs the ground, and explores. (They are only allowed in the backyard and only while supervised.)

I taught her to come out really simply. We have a backyard which is safe so I'd open the door and put a chair there to hold it open, then I'd go sit in the grass and read a book.

The boys took to it right away, running around and rolling in the grass and my garden. Jitzu was more cautious(sp?). She sat at the door sniffing and stretching her neck out. Doran or Muffin would go 'encourage' her by running up to her, sniffing and licking her a bit (to comfort her, I think) then slowly and calmly walking away. It took about 2 sessions of a 1/2 hour for her to decide exploring was ok.

Torri took much longer, but she'd get really scared if I forced her. So I just waited. It took daily sessions (last summer) of about a 1/2 hour each for a week. She would come sit by the door sniffing and looking hesitant. Then she'd run back in the house and do something she liked, like nap in the sun. Eventually she decided it was nice out and bugs were fun to chase, so she came out all the way.

I don't think it's nessicary to take indoor cats outside, but mine like it and as long as they stay it the yard they are safe. They help me garden and weed, and they love to nap in the sun. No harm done.

If you have the capabilities do what I did. Let her come out on her own time, sit in the sun and do something relaxing and ignore her, she'll come when she's ready.

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
I harness trained my first cat. Sometimes hed do flips and manage to get out of the harness! Buy one (for small dogs) that is like a jacket so they cant flip out of it. I found them for$14. I plan to keep them in them when i move/drive across country. Keep a collar on them aand microchip them if, gods forbid, they get loose and take off.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Some cats take time getting used to the outdoors, I wouldn't give up. I wouldn't be holding the cat outside either. That just makes them feel trapped and scared more than they would otherwise.

My aunt got her kittens used to the outdoors by getting a very long leash (many long thin leashes clipped together) and tying them outside while she would sit with them. I think most cats - most cats I have known at least - are scared at least the first few times outside, it's a big world out there!

Once they realise the wind and sky and large expansive ground aren't going to kill them they love it. Of course, some cats are scaredy cats even indoors, so those type of cats wouldn't do well outside.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I brought both my cats on a leash separately. Oscar wanted to run back inside. After a awhile he got use to it. He doesn't walk to well but he likes to watch the birds outside in the front. My little guy Junior walks well outside he is a natural when it comes to walking outside but he doesn't like to just hang out like Oscar does. They both are young. They just turned a year old at the end of may. I started walking them at 9 month old. I also bought a wheeling bag and I walk them like that also. They both like going outside. It was a learning experience because I have never tried to walk a cat.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^ Oh happy birthday to the kitties! :)

Thanks for the tip guys. I kind of let her do her own thing. It might take a while, but I can wait for another few months or so. For a walking Jckt do you get it online or you can find it in stores? I was planning on getting that because I hear a lot of people who walk their cat ave a lot of sucess of using a walking jacket.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts