Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought Jet a harness yesterday, to encourage him to exercise more. He has access to a small garden, but he doesn't go outside that much, and it's not safe to let him out at the front. Does anyone have any tips on how I can get him accustomed to it? So far I've been letting him wear the harness around the house for short periods to get him used to the feel of it.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
If he's already ok with wearing it, attach the leash and let him drag it around behind him. When he gets to be ok with dragging the leash, then you can start holding onto it. He won't "heel" like a dog, but you will be able to keep him from going places he's not supposed to go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cat + leash = broken things...

My cat Pud doesn't mind the halter because it means he can go outside.
Ditto with Snooty.
In fact, when they hear me rummaging around in that drawer, they come running like crazy cats and stand patiently while I put their little heads and legs through the straps and click, click, click...things into place.
Outdoors for a romp, a grass-meal, rolling in the dirt and chasing a few insects, then back inside.
However, I learned the hard way that Pud MUST be unLEASHED first - halter doesn't matter, he could care less).
I can let Snooty sit there - the leash does not bother him, he'll drag it around until I'm ready to unhook him.
But Pud!
Well, the first time I left him standing with the leash still attatched while I tended to Snooty, Pud took a step and when he saw that leash with it's handle following him - he freaked!! - (mind you, he's the jumpy type), and he ran through the house, the leash handle crashing into things. Pud managed to get it wedged in between posts on the coffee table and upset the coffee table and broke it, plus he managed to wreck the phone when he ran by and the leash caught the phone cord and *crash!*.
Sooo, now Pud gets unleashed first...
Live and learn.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Knew where the halter was...

My cat Snooty not only knows where I keep the halter, once he figured out which drawer it was in ( a small cupboard with drawers that slide easily in and out and round handles), one day he actually opened that drawer and dragged out his halter and leash, then meow-ed as loudly as he could. I heard his claws on the wood and then the drawer slide open, so I went and checked what he was up to and caught him!
He wanted to go so badly. (I had been ignoring his pleas to go outside because there was a cold wind). He pulled out HIS halter, mind, not Pud's. Snooty's is pink, Pud's is green, but they look the same otherwise.
Do cats see in color?
Anyway, Snooty had a 50-50 chance of pulling out the right color one.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips - I'll let you know how he gets on. :)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Re: Cat + leash = broken things...

5Catz said:
In fact, when they hear me rummaging around in that drawer, they come running like crazy cats and stand patiently while I put....
Same here!!! Majicou, don't have any tips for ya, sounds like you're already doing what you can, it'll just take time. Took mine almost 3-4 mths.

When I first start them just getting used to the harness, Mozart and Kayla would do the boneless cat flop-over with a VERY offended look (you're killin' me here, Mom!!).

They've learned some important words, like "home" and "no street" when they want to cross. They also know "stop" when I hold tight to the leash and they can't go any more. So now I don't even have to do it, they just change directions right away when they hear "stop". I've been trying to teach them "car bad" (they know what "bad" is), but we don't get any traffic coming through most of the time we're out.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Reading about this makes me feel like I wanna try it too. The only thing I'm worried about is that they could actually miss being outside when they are inside, am I correct? I would love to take them out!

What are the advantages and disadvantages? Is it better to take the cat outside once in a while or is it better to keep her indoor all her life? What is your experience?

I wouldn't be able to go with them often, because I'm at work all day long. I could take them just once in a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts