Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to help with new cat introductions and had good success with it?

We just took George up to the vet today for a routine check and discussed the situation about Buddy. The technician suggested Feliway. Personally, I'm thinking we may just need to buy 1 more to plug-in for a different part of the living room as it's a pretty big area and I don't think 1 will cover it all.

We sure hope it works. We told her how for now Buddy is still only coming out to be with us when we are there to supervise all 3 cats and she actually said that enough time has gone by (1 month on Saturday) that we could start leaving him out in the main part of the house from morning until night and then just let him have peace and quiet during the night. So starting tomorrow that's what we're going to try. She said if it's to the point where the aggressive biting (now they're just swatting at him) has pretty much stopped then George and Herbie should start to wear down sooner or later. She also said 1 month was way too early to make a decision as to whether or not we think it will work permanently. She said to give it at least 2 months, if not 3.

I totally agree, but I think it's my hubby that has questions about the whole thing. Don't get me wrong; he loves Buddy to pieces already (as do I) but we hate to see him have to hover underneath a bed or couch just to feel safe. He doesn't have real good quality of life right now, until hubby or I go into his room behind closed doors and take some time to play with him.

Well, just thought I'd bring up the Feliway stuff and see what anyone else thought.

-Jolene

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've used them with three introductions. It's hard to quantify the value. The introductions did go well. Whether they helped a fourteen yr old siamese with "issues of abandonment" adjustment to a very active siamese kitten is hard to say. It took six months to get Granny Kira to join us in bed. It may have taken longer without it. Who knows! My other senior male is still spraying but he's a hard core sprayer (also on clomicalm). I rescued him when he was taken for euthanasia for that habit. The adjustment of the newest member went well but he was a very small kitten and I would expect that to go well anyway.

I can't say that the Feliway would turn a poorly done - just drop a newbie in and let them work it out - introduction into a good situation. I would guess it wouldn't.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I haven't used the plug in kind, but I've used the spray form of Feliway with great success, as have aquaintances of mine. I highly recommend it. Maybe you could buy a bottle of it to spray in areas the cats hang out... or maybe that would just do the same thing multiple plug ins would do.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HollyW said:
I can't say that the Feliway would turn a poorly done - just drop a newbie in and let them work it out - introduction into a good situation. I would guess it wouldn't.
What do you mean by this...do you think I did the intro "wrong" or something? I've been following the advice of my cats' vet and the technicians all along. It isn't going to happen overnight.

·
Registered
55 Posts
ndkittymom said:
What do you mean by this...do you think I did the intro "wrong" or something? I've been following the advice of my cats' vet and the technicians all along. It isn't going to happen overnight.
Goodness no!! I didn't direct Holly's quote towards you.
:) I think it's great you are following your vet's advice & that she suggested Feliway.
I was simply agreeing with the comment above for the sake of those perhaps reading this thread and curious about Feliway.
I was just sharing my experience with using Feliway.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I am interested in trying feliway also. We have had Simon for about 2 months now, and the other cats tolerate him. However they do not really like him.

Also, Poor little Jessy is picked on constantly. I hope the feliway will help correct this.
I am very interested to hear everyones experience with it....

Can I buy it from petsmart, or do I have to order online?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got mine at the vet's clinic, but this town isn't very equipped with a choice of pet stores either. Our nearest Petsmart is about a 4-1/2 hour drive from here.

Equestrian, I wasn't directing that question to you. I was asking HollyW what she meant by it.

Hubby went back to the vet at lunch today and got 2 more plug-ins so now we have one in the hallway by Buddy's room and 2 in the living room where the cats generally spend most of their day. I know this stuff could take a while to infiltrate the air but it's worth a shot to me. They definitely haven't been as physically aggressive with him. Now it's to the point of one big intimidation game. If Buddy moves too much they step in on him and scare him under the bed again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts