Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... their mail hijacked? We're waiting for a couple of important pieces of mail that were sent well in time to get here by today, and they haven't shown up. Of course, this revelation came over me tonight, just in time to be able to do nothing about it. Panic set in immediately!

I wondered why we were only getting junk mail. A couple of bills trickled in, but that's the extent of it. Is there any way for the post office to successfully track 1st class mail? I hope I'm reading more into this than there actually is and everything will be fine and good come Monday.

Signed,
Panic-Stricken

·
Banned
12,194 Posts
No, the PO can't track first-class mail. I missed getting something very important recently. And something else last fall. And a credit card statement last year. Who knows what else. I suppose with the volume of mail I get, on a percentage basis it's still fairly reliable.

If you think your mail was stolen, not just lost, I think it'd be advisable to start the possible ID-theft process going.

Then again, if it was something you absolutely needed by today, then it'll show up Monday. Never fails. Well, almost never. :lol:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope that's all it is. Hubby always gets a VA check the first of the month, without fail, and it didn't show. That's what began the panic process. Will see what happens Monday ...

·
Super Moderator
18,393 Posts
My parents live in FL and I'm in NH...we've mailed stuff and it's taken 3 days, other times 10 days...totally unpredictable...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spoke w/my SIL this morning -- she and her husband ran a USPO in Dallas for many years. She thought maybe it had been misdelivered. If it doesn't show up in the next couple of days, she suggested we contact the Postal Inspector for our local post office. Will wait until tomorrow to see what shows up ...

·
Super Moderator
18,393 Posts
That's very possible...our mail people are pretty incompetent, I'm always getting mail for other people. Usually it's my neighbors and I just walk over and put it in their box. But sometimes it's someone who has the same house number on a different street in our development (about 10 cul-de-sacs all having the same house numbers). I don't always go through the mail everyday, so it could sit on my counter for 2-3 days before I noticed I have someone else's mail.

·
Premium Member
28,617 Posts
I have received other people's mail also, and sometimes there is very little similarity in our addresses or names. I know then that there is a substitute carrier on the route, and we take their mail to them. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. (Our mail carrier is extremely efficient.) I would ask the postmaster if there was a substitute this past week. I hope you get this straightened out!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I used to work for a very large printing company, and the production floor would print, sort, and then pack the printed (junk) mail right in postal mail sacks or trays. We worked directly with the Post Office, and the mail sacks and trays were delivered by semi loads to our plant. There were always empty postal carts around, because as the floor would stack and label mail sacks and trays, they'd often find mail in them. The mail would go into the carts, and eventually as they would fill up, go back to the Post Office to be resorted and delivered. You'd be surprised what showed up in those carts! And all that mail was because the postal folks would accidently miss something that had been in the bags.

I'm sure what your waiting for is just taking longer than expected. That's usually the way it goes for me also. When I don't need it, it comes quickly. If I'm waiting for something, and needed it yesterday, it takes forever! 8O

·
Premium Member
28,617 Posts
I hate junk mail. It goes directly into the circular file, and we lose part of the Rain Forest. How sad that is. :( And the postmaster told me that the US Postal Service gives these advertisers our addresses! Now, surely the government can stop that practice to help the environment! :cry:

It's not your fault, of course, Geri. I'm a tree hugger.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
My mail carrier is an absolute doll. Whenever I get a box that doesn't fit in the mailbox he will walk it to my sliding patio door in back rather than just leaving it, in plain view, on the front stoop!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yay!!! All that worry for naught! All the mail we thought was "hijacked" showed up in our mailbox today. Including four birthday cards for moi!!

:yellbounce

·
Registered
379 Posts
My house # is 901. I get mail for 901 a block south of me all the time. A couple of weeks ago I got my next door neighbors mail and they got mine.
Last fall I ordered some stuff online and two weeks later I had not received it. I called supplier to inquire and they called UPS for the tracking #. They said my wife had signed for the package 8 days ago. I told them unless my cat was posing as a lady I did not have a wife. 30 minutes later my door bell rang the people brought me my stuff. Unopened. Go figure :x

1 - 17 of 17 Posts