Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

I’ve searched the forum, but couldn’t find any recent post in the topic of meat grinders.

We are going to buy a new meat grinder for the house, but since we are also considering raw feeding our cats the choice is a little more complicated. We will need to buy grinder capable of grinding chicken or turkey bones, and the description of commercially available products doesn’t include such an information.

I live in Europe, so the brands are probably different than in US and Canada, but I would really appreciate if you shared your experience with recently bought grinders, so I could compare the specs with the grinders available in my country.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,855 Posts
It was wonderful with chicken and turkey bones as long as I chopped them into chunks with a meat cleaver first. I avoided turkey thigh bones altogether, though. It is super fast but very noisy. Obviously.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I skip the meat girder and let them eat the healthy raw bones. My kids teeth are all in wonderful shape from their raw bones (never ever cooked bones of course) and the joy of watching them crunch through like real little panthers s (and a tiger) is incredible.

They love their bones!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I think turkey bones are too big for cats to consume, but chicken is fine, particularly the wings or necks for their dental health, if your kitties take to it. You may want to google "prey model raw" or "frankenprey" to get more info if you're interested, too.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You may want to google "prey model raw" or "frankenprey" to get more info if you're interested, too.
Thanks, I will take a look. I don't think we are ready for whole bones though. My cats are used to canned food and raw beef chunks, but we have never fed them with anything out of the ordinary.

Still, my concern is that they will not enjoy chicken/turkey mixed with bones, since it would be completely new to them.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Doesn't hurt to try! If you can get them acclimatized to a whole prey model then you can skip looking for a grinder strong enough to grind bones! Will probably make it a little cheaper too, and save you some time on food preparation as you won't need to do all the grinding and mixing.

And you'd be surprised how readily cats take to bones with meat on them, it's pretty natural for them to crunch away!

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And you'd be surprised how readily cats take to bones with meat on them, it's pretty natural for them to crunch away!
I think it might be too extreme for the time being. I'm already afraid that moving from dry/canned to ground meat&bones might cause some distress.

I was going to buy a grinder anyway for my own purposes, so I'm willing to take the extra costs and I don;'t mind preparing the meals :)

Regards

·
Registered
256 Posts
I got a kenwood MG450 meat grinder locally. It is about 1400kw and came with sausage making tools which we loved :)

It grinds bones without any issue. It did do the turkey bones if I smashed it up but I decided it wasn't worth the risk and substituted them for chicken bones in the end which it does just fine.

The only real issue we faced is the sinew from the turkey would get stuck in the blades sometimes so we switched away from using turkey legs as a meat source and went to turkey breast or boneless turkey thigh with no sinew.

Loki didn't like chewing on bones very much so I just grinded the bones and introduced teeth brushing :)

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I think it might be too extreme for the time being. I'm already afraid that moving from dry/canned to ground meat&bones might cause some distress.

I was going to buy a grinder anyway for my own purposes, so I'm willing to take the extra costs and I don;'t mind preparing the meals :)

Regards
As long as you make the move slowly you should be just fine. You're right that you can't go from feeding canned straight to big chunks with bone, they just won't have the jaw strength or the knowledge.

If you want a grinder anyways then you might as well get one that can handle bone as well.

As far as the switch itself, you may find it easier than you thought. How difficult the switch is really depends on your cats, all four of mine (2 kittens and 2 adults, at the time) took to raw like they'd been eating it their whole lives!

See if they'll eat a bit of ground beef, chicken or turkey, if they will see how a few small strips of those same meats work. If they gobble the strips down with no problem then give 1 inch chunks a go - I know that seems like a big jump, but many first time raw kitties don't understand the need to chew, if you go for small cubes they may choke a larger cube will entice them to chew it into bite sized pieces.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
My guys are all still on canned but they get raw treats several times a week. MowMow never did get into eating big chunks. He just wouldn't (and won't) do it. I have to cut everything into tiny bite size no choke pieces for him.

Both Neelix and Book handled it WAY better. I started with tiny pieces and worked my way up. Now they get big old honking chunks and a full uncut raw quail weekly (MowMow's quail gets dissected into manageable pieces for him via kitchen shears).

Book puts the end of the chunk of meat in his mouth and gnaws. Neelix put his paw on the chunk to hold it still and rips off slices and eats them.

Not only will you see a jump in the health of your cats and the quality of their coat I think you'll find a huge amount of satisfaction in watching them eat such a natural way.

They look like they derive so much more satisfaction from chewing their own food than mouthing mushy formless ...stuff....

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello, thanks for all the answers!
I got a kenwood MG450 meat grinder locally. It is about 1400kw and came with sausage making tools which we loved
This model is available where I live, so I will definitely consider it. It’s good to know that it handles the bones, because it’s my primary concern.

As long as you make the move slowly you should be just fine. You're right that you can't go from feeding canned straight to big chunks with bone, they just won't have the jaw strength or the knowledge.
That’s probably true. I can’t imagine them chewing bones right away. On the other hand they are quite used to chewing raw meat – I’m giving them some beef almost every day and they eat it with no problem.

Not only will you see a jump in the health of your cats and the quality of their coat I think you'll find a huge amount of satisfaction in watching them eat such a natural way.

They look like they derive so much more satisfaction from chewing their own food than mouthing mushy formless ...stuff....
I sure hope that raw diet will be good for them. Some of the meat will have to be ground in order to include the bones to the meal, but I will also leave some chunks for them to chew.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The kenwood also comes in a more powerful model which may handle the bones better than the one I have. We have had it jam a couple of times but really it is a bit of a learning curve. You learn which bones to use/how to put them into the grinder so they go through smoothly.

The more powerful model wasn't available to me but it might be to you :)

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The more powerful model wasn't available to me but it might be to you :)
Yea, there is more powerful model available indeed. It's actually in industrial grinders section of online shop I've checked. That should tackle all the bones alright :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I originally bought the STX brand grinder from Amazon but I had so much trouble grinding chicken thigh bones, having to constantly unscrew the blades and pull out the stuff that jammed, that I finally gave up and bought the Tasin TS-108 from One Stop Jerky Shop. This one doesn't jam. I have no idea whether it's available in Europe however. I've ground as much as 16 pounds of meat without it getting stuck. Normally I use the "wagon wheel" blade first to get a very coarse grind and then switch to the 4mm blade. It does leave behind some little bits of bone that don't make it all the way through.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts