Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Panther knows how to open the bedroom door when he wants to get in. And we forgot to bring our house keys last night. We thought about asking Panther to open the door for us. But obviously he hasn't been trained to open a door with a command, so he did not open the door for us.

But won't it be handy if he knows how to?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, I will be worried if they know who to open the door and have a walk themselves. I am thinking if anyone has trained the cats to open the door with a command. LOL

I know I know, cats can be trained like dogs.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Haha, sounds like a bad idea to me! They might just go for a walk when you've forgotten to lock your door! And then your door will be left open for anyone that wants to enter...

I think the closest cats should learn to opening doors is being able to scratch or nose open a door inside that is almost closed. I wouldn't want them learning to jump up and open/unlock doors, not even in the house. That's just a recipe for disaster!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I never taught them.....they figured it out. We dont have "knob" door handles but the ones that are more of a stick. One cat figured out how to open these about a year ago. He jumps and jumps until he apparently his the door handle and it opens the door. The doors all open inward, so hes even smart enough to "back up" to allow the door to open so he can get out.

His brother in the last month also has figured it out. We now have to lock the doors if we need to keep kitty in the bathroom (like when hes sick).

I was stunned the first time it happened. We had locked the kitty in the bathroom since he was sick, and in the middle of the night i see him laying on the bed....i was very surprised.

They are smarter than you think they are....

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
Charlee knows what the door handles are for and when she's shut out of the bedroom, she jumps up and grabs it. Over and over and over.....

Until she grows thumbs, I'm safe.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never taught them.....they figured it out. We dont have "knob" door handles but the ones that are more of a stick. One cat figured out how to open these about a year ago. He jumps and jumps until he apparently his the door handle and it opens the door. The doors all open inward, so hes even smart enough to "back up" to allow the door to open so he can get out.

His brother in the last month also has figured it out. We now have to lock the doors if we need to keep kitty in the bathroom (like when hes sick).

I was stunned the first time it happened. We had locked the kitty in the bathroom since he was sick, and in the middle of the night i see him laying on the bed....i was very surprised.

They are smarter than you think they are....
We have a stick handle too. Right now only Panther knows how to open the door. We have a baby gate between the entrance area and the living room. We set it up because one of my friends came visit and Cheetah ran out. Now when we *wish* Panther opens the door for us last night because we forgot our keys, the baby gate is there to stop him. LOL

I was just imagining how nice can it be if cats can be trained like dogs, open the door with a command and leave the door alone other time.

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
That's adorable!

Little brat!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I love that video! What a little monkey!

Like others on this thread, the doors in my house have handles rather than knobs. My girls don’t open the doors, but my daughter’s cat, Neko, does. Chauncey (my daughter) and Neko stayed with me for a few months earlier this year. Since they were only staying temporarily, we decided to keep Neko in Chauncey’s bedroom, and not bother trying to introduce him to Muffs and Abby. One evening, out of the blue, Neko appeared in the family room. Chauncey swore up and down that she hadn't let him out. The next day, while lying in bed, she saw how Neko had escaped. He stretched up to the door handle, pulled the handle down, and walked backwards on his two hind legs while holding the handle down. Then he got down on the floor and used his nose to open the door the rest of the way...and off he trotted. Regrettably for Neko, the bedroom door had a lock, which we then started to use.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Geets was waking me up too early so I shut him out of the bedroom. Next thing I knew he was back in my bedroom. I tried it another time and he did the same thing. Now the bathroom door has the same knob but he doesn't try to open it or the front door though the front door is usually locked.

Kathy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts