Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you think back to when you first met?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yes, Evie is the naughtiest cat I have ever met. She is a stealer, and not just food. She stole a piece of plastic and ATE it last week. She was so angelic when we first brought her home. Now she's settled, she knows that she can misbehave! My OH thinks she wasn't allowed/able to play as a kitten, so she's going through that phase now. I'd have to agree!

Mitzi was a shy little thing, who hated being loved on or picked up. Now she lies on my chest and kneads me for snuggles.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I always wondered if he was previously owned by a very elderly person as a companion because he never DID anything. When I brought MowMow home he had no....instincts. Fingers under a blanket or toy mice were just stared at blankly. All he ever wanted was to just sit on me and look out the windows or stare at the wall.

Now he's a maniac. He's constantly chasing toys and attacking me and running laps around the apartment.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Rochelle has changed SO much in the past (almost) year we've had her. She used to be super skittish, would hide all the time, never made a peep, and it was a rare occurrence when she'd let someone pet her or even rarer pick her up. Now, she's full of confidence, talks all the time, lets us cuddle her whenever we want, and she approaches us when she wants love. She even sleeps in between the boyfriend and I at night. She's come so far, and I am so incredibly proud of her.

Alice has changed too, but I think her situation is simply growing up...leaving kittenhood for the adult life. She's still super spunky, full of spirit, and excessively naughty, (she is a tortie after all :p) but she's toned it down a bit. She even enjoys being picked up and cuddled now, whereas she used to flail around and cry as soon as her paws left the floor.

Samantha has always been Samantha. She takes every situation life throws at her, and makes the best of it. I hope she never changes. :)

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Yup, Blacky sure did... http://www.catforum.com/forum/56-feral-cats/137714-taming-cat-success-story.html ... that says it all.

Blaze has come along way too, he was a feral kitten. So for the first month or so he just curled up on the couch afraid of the world. It took a few years to see his full loving personality... but he's still a crazy cat even 15 years later... and totally terrified of strangers.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I love Mow. If you ever need a Mow Holiday- I'll take him (and keep him...)
You'll have to fight me for him! :)

Nutmeg was a sweet little girl until she realized that we weren't bringing her back to the shelter. Now she is literally the naughtiest cat in the whole world. She wrecks everything and stalks and chases Sinatra every twenty minutes!! We still love her anyway.

Sinatra was a sweet and shy boy who was scared the first few weeks we had him. Now he is my loving boy who is probably the most spoiled and demanding cat in the world!

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Samantha was indifferent to me when I brought her home from the breeder, they had 2 litters of kitten at the same time and I don't think she got all the attention she deserved.
She was gorgeous so I fell in love with her and felt confident I would wine her little kitty heart.
Lots of attention and praise soon won her over, I think she really liked being a spoiled only child when I moved to Sacramento when she was 5 and my ex tamed a stray Chiquita they were never friends in spite of our best efforts.
Chiquita was a little stray hanging around our home, you could tell she wanted human contact but she was afraid.
My ex hung out on the front porch and eventually got her to come to her, I didn't interfere and eventually she got used to me too.
When my ex left she left Chiquita behind so I became her Papa too, she was always jealous because I loved Samantha more, now that Samantha is gone she's thriving being Alpha Kitty.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One of my strays looked so horribly jaded when I first met her that I made her my project. She seemed like she couldn't be surprised by anything bad anymore, didn't expect anything good out of life and didn't have any hope. She never lifted her neck, always had it tucked between her shoulders, and had the most bitter eyes I'd ever seen in a cat. She never ever, even for a second, looked me in the eye. She was past bothering to complain. I decided I'd change that hard look in her eyes, whatever it took and however long it took.

Now about 6 months later, she has not only lost the bitter look but she's almost recovered the innocent one! She stands on the side when she arrives at the feeding station, waiting for me to arrange the scene for her: her cushion on the park bench; her food bowl on the cushion; her water dish beside the food bowl because she doesn't really care to drink from the communal water bowl. She elevates a shrieking complaint about the service if all is not set before her within a few seconds. She used to remain silent even in the face of a dangerous dog coming her way. Now she whines if I God forbid pet her in the wrong place she's not feeling like being petted, or too much or too little. She was indignant one night that, like every night, I wrapped her in a fluffy, soft blanket on her velvety cushion because the night was too balmy for the blanket, how didn't I think of it without her having to tell me. She also acts all offended if I dare get up from the bench beside her and go give some attention to another cat or human. In short, she expects a lot out of life - and that was my goal with her, as nothing is as painful to see in a stray cat than the loss of all hope. I've bought a cat carrier and I plan to trap her and bring her home for the night on cold nights next winter. She'll probably be indignant because her bed at my place won't have her name embroidered in golden letters on it. :)

I can't think of anything that makes me happier than a spoiled-rotten stray cat. :)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Tues eve Lily actually stretched out on my lap & legs (I was sitting on the couch with my feet up on the coffee table) and took at least a 1/2 hr nap! My knees were starting to hurt, but I didn't want to move.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Cinder has come a long way in only 10 weeks. Although that's forever with a kitten. She started as a 4 oz weak, malnourished, snotty nosed kitten and is now sleek, shiny, clear-eyed, energetic and mischievous at nearly 3 lbs. She goes on walks with me, the kid, and the dog to pet stores, the local baseball fields and just round and about. Strange children (as in we didn't know them) held her yesterday. She was kitty putty.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Honestly, I think for a 7 week old kitten, Alice has been admirable recently. It used to be she would poo and pee wherever, but tonight, I had her at a friend's house down the street and we were there for about 3 or 4 hours, and not once was there a mess made! The second we got home and her harness got taken off, she was in the litter box immediately. XD I'm so proud of my little munchkin!

Although she told me how she felt about that 3-4 hours with a sharp kitten teeth nip. XP

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
my ferrel tammi cat started as the most wild of wild, nearly beat herself bloody in the box trap, survived distemper, had almost every parasite possible, spent over a year in a large kennel in our family room because she had no plans of being tamed, now shes my evening lap magnet, and has to have petting session before I fall asleep, and last night she was actually playing race and chase with yeti(she was chasing him, he was nonstop trilling and chirping)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm loving the stories!!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Snowball was a scared, defensive aggressive cat when I adopted her from a shelter 16 months ago, age 1. She was picked up as a stray or feral and was three weeks pregnant. She was not socialized with other cats, nor did she appear to know what any toys were. The first time I showed her a furry mouse, she bit its head off and tried to pull out its tail. For the first several weeks, if I fed her anything more than a teaspoonful of food, it came back up five minutes later. She lived behind baby gates for five months, while she learned to get along with my two, then three other newly adopted cats.

While she has never gotten along with Blizzy, she is now a super-affectionate lady who loves to nuzzle my nose and ears and who regularly grooms both Hersh and Little Hersh, while making sure they keep their distance when she feels like it. She loves to play, alone or with me, though not with the other cats--except occasionally with Little Hersh. She still needs a safe room a couple of times a day, so she can safely use the litterbox and be assured Blizzy will not harass her, but she loves that time, including the petting sessions that accompany it. She is a real lap cat and will lie there contentedly as long as I let her. I still can't clip her nails, and I have gotten my fair share of scratches from her, including across my nose, because the is a klutz and still doesn't know all the social graces, but overall she is a sweetheart and a real love.

Here are her before and after pictures, when I first adopted her and now:

Then:

And now:

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't see Midnight in the photo?

Wow, those 2 photos of Snowball are indeed what I mean by coming a long way!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts