Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suggested you get your cat declawed?Boo was diagnosed with Progressive retinal atrophy 2/6/2011 well I had to take him back a few days ago to get his monthly flea treatment and while I was there the vet tried to get me to get Boo declawed because he's "seen so many blind cats attack people".I flattly refused,payed and left.Never have I heard of a vet approving of this so my question is should I consider it or not?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would say no, even if your kitty were to attack due to him being blind, he is just going to bite, rather than scratch. So, nasty painful surgery and biting you if he does want to attack, or the possibility of a bit of a scratch now and again (which I think is unlikely...)

·
Registered
829 Posts
My vet never has suggested declawing any of my cats...although I bet with the one he's treating now he's wishing she didn't have ANY claws at the moment..... :(

I don't know what his personal opinion of declawing is, never asked him since I don't declaw my cats...considered it at one time, until I saw it done.....after that...ummm NOPE no way will my kitties be declawed.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
I have the same feelings as MaryNH ... I would *refuse* to add another disability to a cat already disadvantaged in some manner. I won't even let the vets clip the claws on my deaf kitten as she has neurological/balance issues and I feel she *needs* those claws to catch herself and prevent falling ... even if it means those claws go into my leg in order for her to save herself from a fall.

I don't think any of the vets I've used would ever advocate de-clawing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I unfortunately can't get another vet without traveling more cab fair than I can afford and I'm not able to drive due to epilepsy.This is the best in terms of cats in the area.Of the other two vets one is mostly farm animals and the second is mostly for treating dogs though both treat the occasional cat but from what heard none too well.I really didn't know they even declawed there as you hardly see any declawed cats here in my city.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
What a ridiculous notion! As Heidi says, your kitty already has one disability, why add another? For the record, I have never known a blind kitty to become aggressive. A cats other senses become heightened and the cat adapts amazingly well.

If you can't find another vet, just politely disregard his advice. Make it a teaching moment.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was never going to declaw him I just wanted opinions on that matter as I've never met a declawed cat that wasn't timid or hid under a bed all day.I still can't believe he suggested that myself.Also any tips for owners of blind kitties?

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Oh, I think everyone is directing their surprise and outrage at the vet, not you. You were clear about your intentions.

Give Merry (Mitts & Tess) a PM, she has rescued several blind kitties and has found a sub-culture of people on the interwebz who love and care for blind cats.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Any vet that recommends declawing is a vet more interested in lining his/her pocket than in the welfare of his/her patients.

It's too bad your choices are so limited, Hitomi - that's a vet I'd drop faster than a flaming marshmallow.

At a minimum, I would watch this person carefully going forward - if he's pushing one unnecessary procedure (especially such a harmful one), he's likely to push others.

AC

·
Super Moderator
26,494 Posts
Don't tell your vet that your cat has ever nipped anyone, even while playing.

His teeth will be the next thing he suggests getting rid of..... :shock:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Other than PRA Boo is healthy and I only see him for monthly flea treatment for all the furred animals in the house(2 cats and one dog) that need it.I'll most likely consult a emergency vet the next city over(34 minutes from here on a good day) if he tries to push something else that seems off.

·
Banned
952 Posts
If you don't mind my asking, why are you bringing your pets in for monthly flea treatments?

I've never brought an animal to the vet for that. I currently have six indoor cats and I've never even treated them for fleas at home (not counting when the ferals were initially brought indoors).

I suppose if I had indoor/outdoor pets, they might need occasional treatments, but I'd be surprised if it was monthly... and I would totally treat my furkids myself. When my dog was with us, I only ever dosed her once or twice in the summer.

AC

·
Registered
36 Posts
I treat mine for fleas monthly, with flea preventative. Ringo doesn't go outside, but my dogs go outside for walks and to go to the bathroom. Don't want them to get fleas, or for them to get fleas and pass them onto Ringo! So they're all treated every month. But I do it myself at home, just a little tube on the back of the neck...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I treat mine for fleas monthly, with flea preventative. Ringo doesn't go outside, but my dogs go outside for walks and to go to the bathroom. Don't want them to get fleas, or for them to get fleas and pass them onto Ringo! So they're all treated every month. But I do it myself at home, just a little tube on the back of the neck...
What xxdotmyeyes said but we(me,My mom,and siblings)have epilepsy which is aggravated by most flea treatments and frontline plus(which won't bother us) costs way too much to buy for each animal individually so he treats them for all for $20 a month.Around here most people I know treat them monthly especially spring to fall.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hmm this is my take.

He wants to declaw your cat because hes blind under the theory he may attack someone.

But a cat with no claws is a cat with teeth...get where I am going? lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts